1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norwich (Conn.) Bulletin - Sports staffer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 25, 2007.

1. This place loves to drag its feet when it comes to making new hires. They probably won't make a decision until the summer months.

2. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

This place likes to get its arse kicked by The Day in New London.

3. That is also true. I wonder if GateHouse will admit The Day is competition, because Gannett doesn't believe in competition.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chris Bosak was/is Norwalk, not Norwich.

5. nbalum

nbalum Guest

Khary: Cheap shot. i'm sure you remember when the arse getting kicked was The Day's, and yours.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So uncool to go ahead and quasi-out someone.

I have no dog in this fight, but facts are facts: The Day at present kicks The Bulletin's ass up the coast to Westerly and down the coast to New Haven, then back. It's a fact.

7. nbalum

nbalum Guest

Didn't know you could out someone signed in under his own name.

And the idea that the Day kicks the Bulletin's ass is not in dispute; just the source.

8. Not that I'm defending the Bulletin, but they don't even cover anything on the coast. That being said, they still get their asses kicked in their own backyard.

Funny story I heard from someone who works there. Some famous Norwich architect died either late last year or early this year. The Day had the story, the Bulletin didn't. Obviously it didn't look good that the Bulletin didn't have the story. So the ME tells the city desk to call the family's of significant Norwich figures who might near the end of the line and tell them to call the Bulletin first, minutes after that person dies.

9. There is an offer on the table. Unfortunately it is not on my table. So I don't have the privilege of "cutting out my own anus and eating it."

10. Well, Philly, even if that offer would have been yours, you would not have to worry about it. That sports editor is long gone, though I hear things are not going very well at a certain paper in Wisconsin.

11. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

nbalum,

Sour grapes, bruh? You don't question that The Day regularly beats the pants off of the Bulletin, but you have a problem with me pointing it out? How the heck was that a cheap shot? I didn't say I beat anyone when I was at The Day, which was my very first job almost 10 years ago. Maybe I got beat. Everyone does. But I know it wasn't often — on the boxing beat it did happen occasionally but that was a situation where a novice reporter new to the beat was up against a seasoned pro who later replaced me at The Day.

Maybe when I did I was just too busy doing other work that got me a couple of APSE and New England Press Association awards while I was at The Day — since you wanted to make this about me and not about an absolutely awful newspaper vs. the excellent one The Day is.

On the whole, however, the Bulletin rarely broke news before The Day, when I was there, before I was there and since i left there.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I've heard that this job has been filled and that someone will be starting within the next two weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted