1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norv Turner has been hired as the head coach of the San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 19, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Just heard this over the radio. Fox's Jay Glazer is reporting the contract is done.

Apparently he has informed San Francisco he will be the head coach for SD, and has attempted to contact Ted Cotrell (sp?) to ask him about becoming the D coordinator.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

He stunk in Washington and in Oakland. He was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers, and they stink.
    What makes people think he's going to do something different in SD?
    To me, they've gone from Super Bowl contender to a wild card playoff team.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Turner is an offensive genius. Aikman worships the guy and Alex Smith got a lot better last season under Turner.

I still don't think he's a very good head coach, but he just inherited the best team in the NFL.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not a leader of men.

5. Rex Ryan would have been a great choice.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure I'd be willing to judge Turner based on stints coaching under Dan Snyder and Al Davis...

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing Turner got the job because they want him to help Rivers develop...

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems like Norv would have been better as an offensive coordinator option, though I guess he wouldn't have made a lateral move to SD. I just never thought much of him as a head coach, Al Davis and Dan Snyder aside.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ron Rivera must be a shitty interview.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Has Chris Mortenson confirmed this? Because it's not official until he does.

EDIT -- Mort isn't confirming it, but "ESPN.com sources" are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771126

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I knew Norv Turner when he was offensive coordinator at the Cowboys. Good guy, good with the media and a nice X's and O's man with the ball, no doubt about it.

That said, the Chargers would have been better off keeping Schottenheimer. Turner flopped with the Redskins and the Raiders. When did he suddenly morph into Lombardi?

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I would've liked them to hire Mike Singletary but Norv was the one who started this offense so oh well. And Mizzougrad, you're right. Now all he has to do is be like a Joe Torre/Phil Jackson and just chill. Trying not to do too much will probably put this team in the Super Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted