1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

A high school commencement speaker? WTF? Every single one of them should know he's only fighting a delaying action before the drinking and screwing post graduation commence.
    I think our college president spoke at our graduation. Don't remember; don't really care. That guy was a bigger drunk than any of us thought about being. We were amateur alcoholics compared to that guy. We know; we saw him in action a time or two.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Me neither. Why would anyone gives two fucks in the first place?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think DJ Lance did your commencement.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Well, congrats.

Hopefully she can join the board at some point!

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, NU has set a pretty damn high national standard with their commencement speakers:

2007 -- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (an alum)
    2006 -- Sen. Barack Obama
    2005 -- Sen. John McCain
    2004 -- Tom Brokaw
    2003 -- Wendy Chamberlin (U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan)
    2002 -- Kofi Annan
    2001 -- Scott Turow (lawyer)
    2000 -- Robert Pinsky (poet)
    1999 -- Walter E. Massey (Morehouse president)
    1998 -- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    1997 -- Bill Cosby
    1996 -- Robert Redford

If you get a sitting U.N. Sec.-Gen. and a sitting SCOTUS justice ... the Dalai Lama really isn't out of the question. 8)

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bunch of self-entitled snits. You don't need a famous speaker to validate the work you did. Get a fucking job and work your asses off instead. If you need a motivational speech then go to the books on tape section at your local library.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I can't remember who did ours. So I'm going to say Gale Sayers. Sounds good.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I was my high school's speaker, some agribusiness big-shot was my undergrad speaker and I didn't walk for my master's.

I lived in Chicago long enough to know that Northwestern has some impressive speakers. I wanted to go when Kofi Annan was there. Daley isn't even a Northwestern guy, in fact his family is well-known as DePaul people, so it does seem like a wash. I think the spoiled brats have a bit of a point here.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't turn four or five year's worth of work into worthless shit. If they went to college for a fucking speaker at the end, then fuck them. No one is entitled to a superstart commencement speaker. The speech should be incidental to the work that got them there.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good pull. They've had a very strong run, even going beyond that list. I can understand a relative measure of disenchantment with catching the locally-overexposed Hacky McHack reigning just a half-hour El-ride away, but you don't like it? Don't go. Don't whine and bitch about it to the media.

Though it embraced the diversity game wholeheartedly more than thirty years ago, NU remains a money school (you don't want to know the annual cash tuition, these days) with high levels of frat/sor participation -- and all that goes with that.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has claimed yet that Kurt Vonnegut delivered their commencement address at MIT ...

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

www.rocketscientists.com

Draft saved Draft deleted