1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Same here. All they needed to do was mail me that diploma.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Let me say this: I don't give a flying fuck who speaks at Little Liesl's college graduation. Nor will she. Trust me. She won't care. And that makes me proud as a parent.

And when the day comes that I get the opportunity to walk across a stage and graduate from college (and the day will come, eventually), I will not give a shit who speaks.

These kids need to grow up. Going to college and graduating is not a right. It is a hard-earned privilege.

And congrats, Little Liesl, on getting accepted to the University of Texas. Keep up your good work.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wait, is she on here too?

This is becoming a family affair :D

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

She is not on here yet. She has been too busy at UTSA trying to get accepted to UT Austin to worry about this board. We got the accceptance letter today. And we cried together long distance. And one must be familiar with Texas law to understand why this was such an accomplishment for her. That is all. Back to the thread topic now.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The year before I graduated, we had Anna Quindlen - not bad for a small, middling liberal-arts school (and one with a near-zero journo/comm department). I was glad I went; she was great.

My senior year was some diplomat from another country, somewhere in eastern Europe maybe. All I remember is that he was gonna get through his speech at his pace, boredom and approaching rainstorm be damned.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The class before me got Dan Rather. Classes after me got Bush 41 and Bubba.
    My class...well. Red Auerbach was on the podium to receive an honorary doctorate (and got a standing O, three hours or so before the Celtics took on the Knicks in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals at the Garden). But we did not receive our dose of wit and wisdom from Arnold.
    Instead, we got John Silber's philosophy professor from his undergrad days at Yale. Yes, the only Texan on the planet who hates football dragged out a droning 90-year-old who put us out cold for about 45 minutes on an unseasonablky warm day. Even my father, who thought Silber was the greatest thing to happen to education since moveable type, was left in a state of WTF.
    And when the old man said "I'd like to wrap up by saying..." he got a bigger standing O than Auerbach.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

We had David McCullough when I graduated from Ohio. He absolutely bored us to tears.

Apparently he has a little more pop on his fastball these days. He got a standing ovation for his commencement speech at Boston College a couple weeks ago after telling students to "do what you can to cure the verbal virus that seems increasingly rampant among your generation."

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I just looked up commencement speakers at my college for shits and giggles. The only name I recognize is Pat Williams of the Magic.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, I had a college commencement? Fuck...

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just remembered who spoke at my commencement. It was Tom Emanski. We promptly won our fourth consecutive AAA title afterward.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I had the governor for mine, which some people thought was kinda a big deal. My brother had the President of the United States. Woohoo!

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

In high school we had a WNBA player who was a grad speak to us. How many of us can say a 6-5 black women in head to toe white Chanel issued platitudes to you in a football stadium?

The year before was another grad who worked in sports marketing in Orlando. He mentioned meeting Shaq in his speech (this was 1996), which prompted the guy next to me to say, "When you mention Shaq in your speech, it's time to wrap it up." Words to live by.

Draft saved Draft deleted