1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, as I recall, Rachael Ray and Mandy Moore went to their prom last year.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

We had Barbara Walters.
    Apparently, right around the same time Senator Brooke had her.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I don't even remember who the speaker at my college graduation was or what she talked about, but I remember saying to the person next to me, "Who the hell is this person, anyways?" The following year, Fred Rogers spoke at the college's graduation.

However, Courtland Milloy - the Washington Post's longtime metro columnist - spoke at my high school graduation. I will not forget that at all.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Didn't have one for high school. I didn't walk when I finished college, so I have absolutely no idea who was there.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think we had one at my high school graduation, and I don't remember my college speaker. I'll see if I can find out. I'm sure it wasn't anyone real important.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My high school commencement speaker was the assistant superintendent. He actually did a good job, since he was able to tell personal stories about many of the graduates.

I don't recall who my college speaker was, but the year before I graduated, it was Howell Raines.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Commencement speakers in high school? I thought my talk was enough. ;D
    In college, we had a grad who had been a prominent Vietnam war correspondent.
    Youngest Editude graduates next year. This year, her school had our friend Craig Newmark (of the list).

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Undergrad - Shledon Silver. I thought that was about as long and boring as it could get, then in grad school they sent a laughable e-mail polling who we wanted (Colin Powell, Hillary Clinton, Scwartzkopf etc.). We got Bill Lan Lee, during his recess appointment. Absolutely brutal, unending.

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

The only thing that sucks worse than being a December graduate getting out in 4 1/2 years is being a December graduate getting out in 3 1/2 years. You know you could have/should have spaced things out and given yourself a one-class or two-class semester. Leave yourself plenty of time for the usual college debauchery. But no. You just HAD to get out early.

10. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

This year Ohio has...Peter King

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I graduated we got The Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Whatever the politics; the man is a wonderful, engaging, charismatic speaker.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We had a disabled Vietnam veteran speak at my college commencement. He was O.K, although he didn't say anything really memorable.

Draft saved Draft deleted