1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So since it's just Daley, does this mean they can wear flip flops?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Nice pull! Quite a memory you have there.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Too bad the omnipotent NU Lacrosse Ladies didn't bring their sticks to the East Room.

4. Snobby rich kids... fuck you. ... i was the first generation of my family to go to college, i went to Northwestern on scholarship and wouldn't have even finished there if my father hadn't gone to the financial aid office and pitched a fit just to have me get a work study job.

Not everybody who goes to Northwestern is rich. Not everbody who goes to the local Community College is poor.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I heard Northwestern has already booked next year's speaker.....Jesus Christ.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Too bad they missed out on Al Capone when they had the chance. He was a huge NU football rooter.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I wanted to go to Northwestern. But when my mom looked at the price tag, she almost had a coronary. I could have found a job. I could have applied for a buttload of scholarships. I just wasn't of the mindset that I'd be able to come up with $30,000 a year in any form.

Consider yourself lucky. You obviously found a way to get it done. Were you a valedictorian? Because the scholarships I found were for $500 or $1,000. There were a few around $5,000. Even that wouldn't have put a dent in the tuition prices. So I found a university where the tuition was about one-tenth what it was at Northwestern. Scholarships and financial aid paid for it all.

Edit: I just checked the Northwestern Web site, and they report that the school has lots of financial aid money and that scholarships and other awards account for 80 percent of the cost of tuition for students in need. So that's pretty cool. I don't know whether that was the case 20 years ago, but it might have been.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Last night, rather than showing Prime Minister's Questions, C-SPAN showed Tony Blair giving a speech to the graduating class (including Blair's son, I believe) at Yale. Made me realize how much I miss Blair with Gordon Brown there now.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, if he's bringing the watermelons and the splatter gets on the deans and provosts and other assorted stuffed shirts on the podium, I'll take that over an astrophysicist any day.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One year they should have Jerry Reinsdorf, an NU Law grad who sure as hell knows where the money is.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, they should dig him up and get him to speak, dammit! The fine graduates of NU deserve no less! How dare the university president allow the man's death to be an impediment?!

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At least he could serve as poster boy for the hazards of the Big Syph.

Draft saved Draft deleted