1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. We got Andy Rooney.

2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Does this mean there won't be any chest bumps?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Matt Lauer and Hillary Clinton did ours (we had two commencement ceremonies), and Ohio's a hella lot less important than Northwestern. Suck it, snobby rich kids :D

4. This reminds me of when Columbia University's students were pissed that Matthew Fox, the actor who plays the lead character on "LOST," was their speaker (he's an alum).

Sigh. I guess it's the birthright of every elite private school graduate to bitch about their commencement speaker.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tonight, Enterprise High School (Alabama) gets the First Lady.

I suspect the reason was that the school was wiped out last March by a tornado that killed eight students who would've graduated tonight.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

My favorite part of the piece in bold:

"If your goal in the speaker selection process was to make graduating seniors happy about leaving this university, then mission accomplished," Matthew Braslow of Vernon Hills wrote on Tuesday to Bienen. Braslow also said he will not attend.

"Matthew, grow up," Bienen wrote back Wednesday morning. Bienen's e-mail added: "You also sound like a very unhappy person. I am sorry for that. Hopefully things will improve for you over the years."

That's hilarious a university president telling a graduate senior from one of the nation's top universities to grow up.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have no idea who did my commencement. Don't think it was anyone famous.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That would be a sound guess, yes...

Tho I would pay good money to see her chest-bump like her husband, frat-boy President Stupid...

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bush did the commencement speech for Greensburg HS in Kansas for much the same reason. Who did VTech this year?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mont. Gov. Brian Schweitzer recently spoke at a Opheim's graduation.

Size of the class. . . 1.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hHW4r_mtla4Whudf-UjXYFyUU-CAD90NO92G0

11. ballcoach

ballcoach New Member

Remember when North Carolina tabbed Stuart Scott to do the commencement a few years back? All Tar Heels, dead and alive, should have been embarrassed.

Draft saved Draft deleted