1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern Professor Runs Afoul of the Title IX Mob

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The idea that, well, the market will self correct in time is fine, and likely true, but it certainly chews up a lot of decent people in slow course of that correction. If I'm a professor teaching humanities at a decent but not "elite" (see: Joe Flacco) university, and my school's enrollment is down because the football team keeps sexually assaulting women and ball coach and president are like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and suddenly I'm teaching a Lit class and some kid says "Leopold Bloom talking about his erections is deeply offensive to me, I feel harassed" and I can't pay my mortgage because the provost feels like we can't renew my contract, well, waiting around for my school's reputation to slip a bit (see: Andy Dalton) so that the administration will come around to the idea that our graduates aren't getting good jobs because our standing is a running joke, seems like a dream on a faraway hill I can fantasize about but likely never visit.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Reading the very initial piece that started the burst, about just how much this woman liked boning students and about what a sport it seemed to be among the faculty, I am reminded that I once was pretty sure I was being hit on by a professor who was quite a bit older than me (yet not really old at all). Then I thought, nah, you're thinking crazy. Now I think maybe I wasn't crazy and that professors be crazy.

Damn. College.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that Vox article is hilarious. "Here's how one actual complaint against me went. It was fine. Anyway, here's how I think future complaints might go!"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until Northwestern drops football because the players are allowed to unionize.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretty good parody of a Northwestern statement ... cuts pretty close to the bone in some places.

Leaked Northwestern University Email States Rules For Title IX Investigations | Popehat

Draft saved Draft deleted