1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern football players seek to join union

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I understand what you are saying. I would say that unless a college paper generates income, there is no reason -- other than charity -- for the students who produce that paper to share in non existent profits. Maybe there are places where the school papers are bigger money makers than I realized.

I had no idea that college newspaper editors get paid. When I was an undergrad (it was a time long ago) -- and it was a pretty good college paper -- nobody got paid for it, which wasn't surprising given that the paper didn't generate any notable income.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If a non-union school offers more money benefits than a union one, good for it. That's how any number of large corporations have stayed unionized over the years.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What'll happen first is that the state labor board will rule that athletes aren't employees. So there won't be a need -- yet -- to ban unionization. Of course, this will all end up in court, so we have a years-long battle over whether to pay and if so, how much.

The NLRB person did give schools one out -- don't give athletic scholarships. The walk-ons aren't considered employees because, simply, they aren't getting paid, so they're essentially volunteers with nothing to lose if they walk away from the team. But are schools ready to do that?

Also, if scholarships no longer existed -- and there wasn't some alternative means of funding athletes otherwise -- there is a whole youth sports economy based on scholarship chasing that could be ripe for a correction.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No. Even if they share the loot there's still billions for the schools. They aren't walking away from industries as lucrative as major college football and basketball.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think there were also other outs. Have the scholarship, but it can't be based upon on-field performance (ie. based upon showing up and not based upon the number of interceptions thrown) also, coaches can't regulate kids' activities outside of actual football-related circumstances, like games and practices.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

There are definitely unintended tax consequences for the players, as well as the University. The Internal Revenue Code defines income broadly enough to include scholarships, but "qualified" scholarships are specifically excluded from taxable income (IRC section 117). There is then an exception to the exclusion for "that portion of any amount received which represents payment for teaching, research, or other services by the student required as a condition for receiving the qualified scholarship or qualified tuition reduction.

The NLRB ruling finds that the football scholarships are compensation for playing football so the value of the scholarships should now be considered taxable income to the players - who, of course, aren't receiving cash that can be used to pay those taxes.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the ultimate goals of the conspiracy is to eliminate unions completely in the U.S., so any chance to crush them anywhere will be seized.

Watch all the yeehaw hillbilly states rush out with their anti-union bills.

It's a perfect storm for them: a high-profile case, unions in public education!!!!!, one of their biggest bugaboos, mouthy young black guys with dreads and tats demanding "money for playing a game."

The corporatist media will get behind it and within a year, virtually all RTW states (and probably a few others too) will have anti-college-athlete unionization bills.

8. Michael_ Gee

Well then, schools in those states may lose out on recruits. A few 5-6 seasons and the Alabama state legislature might reconsider its stance. All it takes is one school to recognize and bargain with such a union and all the rest will have to follow suit in offering if not wages, comparable work rules and other benefits.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Given the reception that the United Auto Workers have gotten in SEC country
    combined with most of those states being right to work states, its doubtful that unions would start there.

10. Michael_ Gee

Again, Boom it's not about the union per se. It's about the pressure a union anywhere would create on how all schools treat their athletes.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if this ruling impacts Kent Waldrep's case at all.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'd say the solution to the Alabamas of the world is to make booster pay legal, except the IRS gets involved there, too. And if coaches thought boosters had a lot of power before...

Draft saved Draft deleted