1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern football players seek to join union

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see which school that might be. For some reason, Vanderbilt comes to mind.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's the kind of school I had in mind, Dick. One with very deep pockets for reasons other than sports that still wants to play in the big leagues.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Time for the coaches and ADs to participate in shared sacrifice.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that all athletes get paid both in revenue and non revenue
    sports or just revenue producing.

I think if true academic institutions like Northwestern and Stanford are going to
    be intellectually honest with there purpose, then the cannot possibly reconcile
    paid teams.

If colleges are going to be true to there purpose then the only model that makes sense is the Ivy League / D3 where athletes are given financial aid / merit money.

5. Dick Whitman

As far as the effect on purity of mission, how is paying an athlete different than paying the school newspaper editor?

6. Baron Scicluna

The right to work state thing also brings up another conundrum. The principle behind it is that nobody can be forced to join an outside organization (union)if they want to work for a specific employer. Since athletes are now being seen as employees, couldn't they claim they don't have to be under an outside organization (the NCAA), in order to work as a college athlete? Meaning they don't have to obey NCAA rules?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ivy League schools are offering a very tangible reward that other schools cannot match, namely, admission itself. As an economic proposition, a Harvard or Princeton degree has much bigger rewards on average than, oh, a Kansas State degree. Nothing against Kansas State, that's just how the world works. Of course, those benefits are long-term, and teenagers aren't famous for long-term thinking.
    Look, as I said in another post, college students work at jobs related to their schools or even for their schools in many fields. They get paid. Maybe not much, if they're cleaning test tubes, but if a kid's studying drama on a scholarship and gets a part off-Broadway, he gets paid and keeps the money. Why should sports be different? I don't get it. I don't understand why so many people, as is obvious on this board, have a deep emotional attachment to the idea college athletes shouldn't be paid. What pleasure does that add to the sports?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that all college athletes should be paid ?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what purity of mission means, but it amazes me how this gets overthought by people (not you necessarily, but just catching up on this thread).

If you remove political favoritism from labor negotiations (actually any negotiation), it all comes down to leverage. And leverage directly relates to how much revenue and income you produce.

Water polo players don't generate any income. They should be free to collectively bargain if it benefits them, but the reality is that unionizing doesn't serve them any better than if they try to negotiate individually. They have never leverage.

Football players in many schools have leverage. What they bring to the table produces a lot of money. And in situations like that, collectively bargaining can be an effective way of using your leverage. If they collectively walk, there aren't replacements who are as good, and the revenue and income goes away.

The school newspaper editor, in most cases, is more similar to the water polo player. If a school newspaper editor has any leverage, he or she should be allowed to use it to their advantage. But is that the case anywhere?

10. Baron Scicluna

Precisely. They needed to do exactly what they say their rules are supposed to do: treat athletes as students.

Kids who work for the school paper don't have to register their cars with their adviser or obey a curfew and if the Podunk Press wants to hire them for freelance while they're on the school paper, the kids can do both.

11. Dick Whitman

I don't follow you.

School newspaper editors typically get paid. And no one seems to think it compromises the educational mission.

That's what I was saying.

12. Baron Scicluna

The thing with your last sentence is that, in order to remain competitive, a non-union school may have to offer a kid as much or more than a union school. Otherwise, the non- union school may find themselves losing out on recruits.

Draft saved Draft deleted