1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern football players seek to join union

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why?

I mean, outside of your jerkoff fantasies, why?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, but they don't travel across the country to do so, and they usually don't miss hardly any classes.

Looking at my D-III alma mater's basketball schedule, all of their weeknight games are within a couple of hours bus ride or less. The longer bus rides are on weekend, and their one out-of the region tournament was during winter break.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Leave it to a program that lost seven games in a row for the student-athletes to seek union protection.

4. Armchair_QB

The point is, college athletics are a voluntary pursuit. They aren't employees.

5. Armchair_QB

This shows your ignorance right there. You need to quit while you're behind. Sports like basketball, baseball, volleyball and others play multiple mid-week games and they can't play them all at home. They're missing classes pretty much every week. They just aren't going cross-country to do it.

Come back when you know what you're talking about.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A job isn't a voluntary pursuit?

You are making no sense.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also, Division III athletes - especially at private schools with 2,000 or fewer students - usually benefit from professors and support staff that are very accommodating. Sure, you have to still do the work, but private universities are in business to stay in business.

Division III private schools need EVERY student possible to graduate so that, as an alum, they'll give back to the school.
    Unlike a 40,000+ student school, they don't really churn and need the experience to be positive so that Johnny Graduate will still donate money amid the $74,000 in college debt.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm with AQB. College athletes are volunteers. As long as they don't do anything illegal, they should be looked upon as such.

Fortunately, accepting money from boosters, agents or anyone else is not illegal. So we can just carry on.

9. Baron Scicluna

Because the NCAA is going to have to prove why not allowing a women's golfer to use a certain water hose to wash her car furthers her school's educational mission, for one.

Plus, as I said, back in the old days, the NCAA could convince the courts that the kids were true students who just played sports to blow off some steam and received some scholarship money in exchange. Now big-time college sports is a true business.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The point is that they are a workforce. The point of the union is that they want to be considered employees to collect benefits.

The fact that they are a workforce that generates revenue seems to be inarguable.

11. Baron Scicluna

Congrats, you just made my point. They're not going cross country. They're leaving by bus in early afternoon, playing their night game, and coming back to campus around midnight during the week.

Contrast that with a D-I school, which flies the day before, has a shootaround the morning of, plays the game that night, and gets back to campus at 4 a.m. Those kids end up missing 3 days of classes.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm eager to see the first team that refuses to take the field of competition as a show of union solidarity. That'll get the NCAA and world's attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted