1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwest Florida Daily News, sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by goldy220, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldy220

goldy220 New Member

Company: Northwest Florida Daily News
    Position:Seeking Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 18, 2008
    Job ID: 894749

Description:
    The Northwest Florida Daily News, located on the beautiful Emerald Coast, has an immediate opening for a reporter to cover our prep sports beat. This is a vital position in our four-person Sports Department. If you have a high level of energy, good planning skills, strong writing and reporting skills, an understanding of the value of multi-media reporting, and the ability to work as part of a team, then we're interested in you. We are most interested in speaking with applicants from the Southeast. To apply, email a cover letter, a resume, and writing samples to Sports Editor Jared Macarin at jaredm@nwfdailynews.com. Or, you can mail the same to: Northwest Florida Daily News, Attn: Sports Editor Jared Macarin, 200 Racetrack Road NW, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32549.

---------------
    Most interested in applicants from the Southeast? Why?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Presumably because they're trying not to pay too much in terms of moving expenses.

OTOH, perhaps that means they actually pay moving expenses.

This is a Freedom paper — and didn't that company come up on the Lean Dean thread recently?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Before long, it'll be a three-person operation.

4. Surely a paper of this size in that economy could afford to do that right?

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I think this is being considered normal that the paper does not pay for relocation.

6. Can anyone fill us in on what SE Jared is like to work for and what the paper's like overall? I've got a pretty good idea of the region. Also, who left and where did he/she go?

7. SE Jared just got the bump from preps guy, so I don't think anyone knows.

8. Previous SE was found dead in his home.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

The cool thing about this gig -- I think it's still true if a friend of mine told me correctly -- was that the prep writer did not have any desk duties. A rarity at a paper that size. And the area is beautiful. Of course, that's based on a three-day weekend getaway. Also, there's very little competition even though there's three papers in that area. I believe they each cover their own county(ies).

10. jmacfl

jmacfl New Member

This is Jared. I've seen some of what's written and wanted to set the record straight. (not that anything has been completely wrong)

First, everyone on staff (four people) does desk work at some point in the week. The preps writer will do pretty much what the job description is - be the go-to guy for all things preps in the area. We one one designer, a preps guy, a JUCO guy (who is also back-up preps) and me, who does some of everything.

This was my former job for the past two years until Perry Ballard passed. There are 12 high schools, 10 that play football, and it's pretty decent sports across the board.

I've gotten about 20-30 resumes so far, so if you are interested and haven't applied, feel free to do so. But I ask that you try and get your stuff in quickly as we would like to move forward in a timely manner.

Any other questions, please PM and I'll be glad to give you more info.

Oh, and I think I'm good to work for :) We work hard, but we have a fun time and get a lot done.

11. Jared: any news on this one?

12. Sawker

Sawker New Member

I spoke with Jared about this job before it was posted on jj.com and he said at that time a decision would be made within a couple days.

I sent a follow-up email a week later and he said I was still in the race and he would let me know just as soon as a decision had been made.

A day or so later, I saw an ad was posted on jj.com.

This is my hometown paper, so I really, really wanted the job. After living a nomadic life in lands far, far away, I could certainly do with some grits, sweet tea and emerald green water.

But I got the hint with the lack of communication and the ad in jj.com. I've moved on. My lone consolation -- and it's not a very good one -- being I found another job faster than they found a new prep writer.

Congrats to whoever gets the job. Just keep watch over your shoulder, because I'm determined to make it back home some day. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.