1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwest Cancels Some Transatlantic Flights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing small-to-medium size cities lose all of its air service?

I know there is some concern at a couple Central Texas airports - Waco primarily - that they will be without carriers before too long because the airlines can't afford to keep flying there.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

With who? And what? I don't know much about the Twin Cities, but is there a particular reason for a Minneapolis-Beijing connection?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

NWA has a tradition of this service (they were known as Northwest Orient Airlines for a long, long time).
    It's efficient. They fly over the pole from Minny, and make good time.
    And there's a whole lot of new business going on in Beijing and environs.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for the clarification. I actually learning something from that. Did not know they flew over the pole.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Northwest. When I first heard about it, I said, "Through LA?" and he told me it was direct, which stunned the hell out of me.

I think there is only one or two each way per week, but still, that's a non-stop flight I never thought I'd see...

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

United announced last week it's stopping its Denver-to-London nonstop in October.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Didn't know NWA did MSP-Beijing direct.

The Detroit-Tokyo-Beijing (and Guangzhou-Tokyo-Detroit) flights I was on a month and a half ago were jammed 747s.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You are right. Nonstop to Tokyo, is the first step.
    And it'll run you about $1800.

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

I'm flying direct from Minneapolis to London (on NWA) later this year for the Sconnie honeymoon. It's in September, and since the first flights NWA cut were in October, I feel pretty safe, but still a little nervous.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you're ticketed, you'll get there. Even if they cut the flight, they'll put you on another one of theirs or a partner (you might have to fly to JFK to go on Delta, for instance.) And congratulations in advance!

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They have to accommodate you if the flight is dropped.

Draft saved Draft deleted