1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwest Arkansas newspaper war over

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Well, damn if that doesn't get the vein in my forehead twitching.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

A step up from the penny-pinching Donrey days, I guess??

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look at the history of JOAs and there's going to be a winner and a loser every time. If these two papers are at parity, why bother? I say go without a JOA and let the better product win. Why drag the whole thing down and leave the whole she-bang to John Dingleberry at Channel 5?

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, but in many cases, it took 40 years or more to sort out the loser.
    Who wouldn't take 40 years' survival at this point?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know how long Cincy's lasted. Denver's went almost nine years.

I think anyone would take nine years of job security at this point.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What job security? http://bit.ly/mzuzX

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Pittsburgh's went from the early 60s to 1992, and it died for reasons only tangentially related to the JOA.
    Cincy's went from the late 70s to 2007.
    That's a lotta years.

8. Most of the people commenting here haven't been there so are really not aware of the scene on the ground. Kind of like those who think Houston Nutt got a raw deal. Do the research. Inky's link is a good start.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sani, if you know more pass it on, but what I am hearing is that people from both papers will be reinterviewing for their jobs.
    So competing beat writers will face off and the winner gets to keep their job, while the other gets kicked to the curb.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/printable.asp?aid=116861

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The Post-Herald was always the smaller paper, but it was the morning paper and the News was the afternoon.
    After a certain period of time, the News, as the larger paper, flexed its muscle and forced a swap of circulation cycles.
    That, essentially, signed the Post-Herald's death certificate. Its afternoon circulation plunged and the News bought out the JOA in 2005, closing the paper.
    As someone who was there, it was not fun.

11. Three *big* deals here should the JOA go into effect -- and it will: the new Northwest Arkansas Newspapers will have a five-member board, with WEHCO holding three of the seats. Advantage WEHCO. Second, Razorbacks coverage -- outside of Wal-Mart, the biggest beat in NWA -- will be taken by the current Dem-Gaz folks. Which isn't so bad coverage-wise since they're way stronger than the Stephens slouches -- but also advantage WEHCO. Third... as a new company, seems to me that would mean everyone's salary, benefits and accrued time off is negotiable. Advantage NOT personnel.

12. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

After reading the articles, it appears as though this JOA isn't like the ones set in up in other cities where there are still separate, competitive editorial staffs.

It's more like in Las Vegas where there are separate newsrooms, but the Sun relies on features content and the section is inserted into the Review-Journal. In Arkansas, one paper concentrated on regionalized news in the area, and the other papers deals with local stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted