1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern MN is burning...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, May 10, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This morning on the news, there were stories about fires in LA and Florida.

There is a huge fire burning in Northern Minnesota which is bigger than both those fires combined.

Firefighters Using Fire-Balls To Battle BWCA Blaze

It's been burning almost an entire week now and with the weather conditions (hot and dry), it's a mess.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who cares? It's flyover country! [/sp...ahh, you know by now]

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

A more in-depth story

Fighting fire with fire

From the story:

4. No, not Hamm's Lake!

[​IMG]

Seriously, that's one of my favorite parts of the world. It's a shame.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Never been in that part of the country, but here's to the hopes they get it under control soon, Rosie. Hope you and the family are safe.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks, Alley. We're good, but under a red flag warning. (Most all Northern MN is.)

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cook County? You gave me an 1871 flashback. [/spnited]

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

As a dude who has spent several months in Northern Minnesota, this is sad. But, if there's a silver lining, it's in an area that grows trees fast.

It will rebound relatively quickly compared to places like Yellowstone or SoCal.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I would never say that to my friend Rosie.

Hope you and the family remain safe, Rosie.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's beautiful there. It really is. But the potential for the fire to spread is enormous given how huge the northern Minnesota forest is.

I hope it rains real soon.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

And so we have our answer to an age-old question.

If a tree burns in Minnesota and the media doesn't see it, it doesn't make a sound. This, of course, is the bastardized version of this:

If a bear shits in the woods and nobody is there to smell it, does it stink?

Good luck with your fire. My kids haven't be able to play outdoors for the past several days. My wife left the front door open for 10 seconds on Tuesday, and the house filled with smoke. But I think we Floridians are about out of the woods now, no pun intended.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sounds like it's getting worse.

Fire Prompts Evacuation Of Gunflint Lodge Area

Gunflint fire jumps line

It's windy and still too dry here today.

Spnited, thanks. We're fine, but the water-bomber flying over the house this morning startled the bejeebers out of me. Sounded like it was going to fly right into the house. Don't know if it was practice or going to the fire.

HeinekenMan, I hope your fire down there is under control and contained. Kids stuck in the house is not fun. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted