1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Minnesota paper shot at ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, I could have paraphrased Mr. Rosie: Shot at and missed, sh*t at and hit.

Would that have been better? :D

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Bemidji isn't in Michele Bachmann's district, is it?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bemidji's so far north it's in Turner Overdrive's district.

4. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

"How dare you not cover cheerleading!"

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Bemidji is not in Bachman's district. Her area is much further south.

And Bemidji isn't *that* far north.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Rosie: That's true ... by Minnesota standards. Bemidji is no I-Falls!

I'm also surprised -- and thankful -- that violence doesn't happen more often at newspaper offices.

An exception happened at the Soo Evening News in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., in the late 1990s. I think somebody died as a gunman came in the front door and started shooting. Several from the newsroom took cover in the darkroom (remember those?). I believe the guy was a former delivery driver.

7. I worked at a small paper where the side entrance opened directly into the newsroom, and the news desks were situated in front of a large series of windows, where passersby on the sidewalk could practically read our computer screens.

First thing the new ME did was move his desk so he didn't have his back to that window. Said something about not being another Wild Bill Hickok.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think there was also a weekly paper in the 1990s in New Hampshire that had a gunman come in. The editor was killed when he tried to physically confront the guy, saving other people's lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted