1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Ireland: Here we go again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Mar 8, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/soldiers-shot-dead-in-northern-ireland-terror-attack-14217509.html

Just great.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well shit.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I was really hoping this thread would be about sports, not news.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We really are back in the 1990s

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damned republicans again.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a friend who recently sold everything he had and moved to Belfast. Hope everything's going to be OK.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/08/northern-ireland-soldiers-killed-antrim

The faintest of silver linings:

At midday, hundreds of churchgoers from churches across Antrim gathered at the police cordon near the murder scene to hold a prayer service. Traffic was halted as congregations from the Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland, Presbyterian and Methodist churches came together to pray for the victims.

This is terrible news, but I don't think these murderous shits have completely undone the work of the last decade. The overall trend on both the Republican and Unionist sides has been away from sectarianism and violence- I don't think that overall trend is in danger.

Footnotes from 21st-century Ireland: The two soldiers killed were scheduled for deployment to Afghanistan. And one of the pizza delivery guys who was shot is Polish.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Good to hear that the initial reaction has been rational.

Now time will tell as to how the military or UDA types react.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Shit. Hopefully this won't undo so much recent reconciliation.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if this attack isn't more about the Irish Tiger economy slowing down than anything else.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I was thinking the same exact thing. The best way to prevent terrorism is to keep people employed. (Dr. J)

Draft saved Draft deleted