1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Illinois University/High School Sports Reporter, DeKalb, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JohnSahly, Mar 7, 2012.

1. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

The Daily Chronicle, a 9,000 circulation six-day a week newspaper owned by Shaw Newspapers that covers DeKalb County, Ill., has an immediate opening for an energetic reporter to cover Northern Illinois University and high school athletics.

This is an opportunity for a writer to spread his or her wings and cover a Division I college. We are looking for a reporter who can develop sources and stay on top of the news but also take chances with innovative enterprise and feature writing. It's the perfect environment and opportunity for a writer to grow while learning the ropes of covering a major college on a daily basis for the first time. Our section has finished in the top 10 in our circulation category in the Associated Press Sports Editors contest in each of the past three years. Our NIU athletics website – HuskieWire.com – has been honored by APSE for three consecutive years.

Qualified candidates should have experience in a deadline-driven daily or college newspaper environment and the demonstrated ability to write clear, concise and engaging sports stories and features. A candidate must have a passion for community sports journalism and the ability to work collaboratively with photographers and editors to produce a great newspaper and website. The position also includes coverage of high school athletics and limited page design responsibility. Knowledge of InDesign is a plus.

At least one year of professional experience preferred but recent graduates with outstanding internship experience are encouraged to apply. Solid knowledge of AP Style and grammar required. Experience with the Web and multimedia is a plus.

Interested candidates are invited to send their resume with five clips (make them diverse with game stories, features and news) to:
    Shaw Suburban Media - Human Resources
    Attn: Sportswriter
    1586 Barber Greene Road
    DeKalb, IL 60115
    OR E-mail: editorialrecruitment@shawmedia.com

Shaw Media is a Drug Free Employer.
    Pre-employment background check and drug screen required.
    This posting may not include all duties of position.
    EOE

Ryan Wood has done a great job for us covering NIU and the local preps scene and leaves big shoes to fill. If you have any further questions about the position, feel free to e-mail me at jsahly@shawmedia.com

If you want to check out some of our work and what the job will entail, here are links to our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/people/Huskie-Wire/100000026907286), Twitter (http://twitter.com/HuskieWire) and our HuskieWire website (http://www.huskiewire.com/)

John Sahly
    Sports Editor
    Daily Chronicle

2. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

This is an excellent starter job. John Sahly is a very good sports editor and good guy, and you get to cover a DI football/basketball program, even if it is the MAC.

And Chicago's fairly close.

Could be a very nice first job for somebody.

3. r_wood

r_wood New Member

It's impossible to recommend this job strongly enough.

There certainly are areas with better night life. Yes, the bars close at 1 a.m., so going out after deadline during the week isn't realistic. But if you're young, hungry and care about becoming a great sports reporter, John Sahly really is a brilliant editor to work for. Sahly will push you, stretch your limits and demand hard work every day, and it will make you better.

You'll never find yourself with a shortage of stories as the Northern Illinois beat writer. NIU football is coming off arguably its greatest season in program history – ending the fall with a national-best nine-game winning streak, back-to-back 11-win seasons and bowl victories, its first MAC title since 1983 and a No. 26 national ranking – and will be a contender in the MAC again. The basketball programs currently seem to be headed toward brighter days, both advancing in the MAC tournament this week.

More importantly, you get the opportunity to learn how to handle a Division I beat at a daily paper, with competition during the football season from larger surrounding markets like Chicago and Rockford. You're the hometown paper, and there's a badge of honor and plenty of pride that comes along with that.

I can't be more thankful for the 14 months I've spent on this beat and at this paper. I'm biased, but you won't find a better sports section for its size in the country. If you're willing to work hard, apply. You won't regret it.

4. jwerner56

jwerner56 New Member

I second the above comments. John is one of the best small-paper sports editors in the country, and he has the awards to back it up. He gets the most out of his small operation, and he'll make you better as long as you're ready to work your butt off. I know because I worked this beat before Ryan. It's a great opportunity to spread your wings on a Division-I beat.

NIU is one of the best mid-major football programs in the country ... the basketball team, not so much but former Izzo assistant Mark Montgomery is there now. As others have said, it's a short drive to Chicago and there's some nice areas to live in around DeKalb.

5. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

I can also vouch for both John Sahly and the job being a great place to learn. When I worked in DeKalb, Sahly held that job. Since I left, the coverage has only gotten better. It's a good opportunity for the right person looking to gain experience covering a college beat as evidenced by the past three people who held the position (who have all posted above).

6. I had the pleasure of working with John at the recent APSE conference. He's a good dude, and judging by their contest entries and results, they do good work there.

7. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

Goodness gracious, is there anybody out there who doesn't think Sahly is one part Woodward, one part Bernstein, one part Bradlee and one part AnotherGreatEditor'sNameHere?

If Ebert was MizzouGrad, he'd rate this guy as Ten Effin' Studs Up.

If he's so dang phenomenal, why do people keep leaving him every year?

But seriously, John, got room for me on your team?

8. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

Hmmm. Looks like I brought this thread to a screeching halt. Now might be a good time to mention I was kidding.

If anyone's uncertain whether this is a good job, check out the latest APSE awards list.

9. BraulioPerez

BraulioPerez New Member

I've been covering Washington State football and basketball for the last three years. Just graduated in December and am looking for a place to start.. To say I'm very interested in this gig would be an understatement. Mr. Sahly seems like a great editor for young men like myself to work with starting out

10. jackmac

jackmac Member

Don't pass this one up. It's a great starting job and you get to cover a top-notch football program.

11. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. We've received a lot of resumes/clips and it's a deep talent pool on this one. If you haven't submitted your materials, please get them in by 5 p.m. Thursday. I hope to have calls/emails out to schedule phone interviews by Monday.

And to those of you who have written such nice things in this thread, it's great to see those checks cleared. Nicely done.

John Sahly
    Sports Editor
    Daily Chronicle

Draft saved Draft deleted