1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Illinois University/High School Sports Reporter, DeKalb, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JohnSahly, Jun 21, 2010.

1. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

The Daily Chronicle, a 9,000 circulation six-day a week newspaper owned by Shaw Newspapers that covers DeKalb County, Ill., has an immediate opening for an energetic reporter to cover Northern Illinois University and high school athletics.

This is an opportunity for a writer to spread his or her wings and cover a Division I college. We are looking for a reporter who can develop sources and stay on top of the news but also take chances with innovative enterprise and feature writing. It's the perfect environment and opportunity for a writer to grow while learning the ropes of covering a major college on a daily basis for the first time.

Qualified candidates should have experience in a deadline-driven daily or college newspaper environment and the demonstrated ability to write clear, concise and engaging sports stories and features. A candidate must have a passion for community sports journalism and the ability to work collaboratively with photographers and editors to produce a great newspaper. The position also includes coverage of high school athletics and limited page design responsibility. Knowledge of InDesign is a plus.

At least one year of professional experience preferred but recent graduates with outstanding internship experience are encouraged to apply. Solid knowledge of AP Style and grammar required, as is ability to write clear, concise copy. Experience with the Web and multimedia is a plus.

Interested candidates are invited to send their resume with six clips (make them diverse with game stories, features and news) to:
    Shaw Suburban Media - Human Resources
    Attn: Sportswriter/Reporter
    1586 Barber Greene Road
    DeKalb, IL 60115
    OR E-mail: Recruitment@shawsuburban.com

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at jsahly@daily-chronicle.com

John Sahly
    Sports Editor
    Daily Chronicle

2. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

This sounds like an intriguing job for an up-and-comer .... Anyone know much about the paper or Shaw?

3. calibretto

calibretto Member

Where'd the last guy go?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Shaw is family-owned and as good as any other small newspaper company these days. Seem to be willing to pay good money for good hires at the top.

5. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

I know it varies, but is the salary in the 25-30K ballpark, or lower??

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't say with 100% certainty, but probably lower. I made ~$23k as a sports copy editor at a nearby (slightly larger) paper in the same chain.

(edit to fix typo)

7. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

JohnSahly had the job. He bumped up to sports editor after the SE just got a job in Green Bay. John's a good dude...and the job gives you the chance to be the expert on a potential Top 50 college football team.

If you're on Facebook, look up Huskie Wire to get a sample of the beat's interest and the job's breadth. You'll be 30 minutes away from Chicago's western 'burbs and 75-90 minutes from the Loop.

There...did I sell it enough, John? :)

LW

8. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

You certainly did, Lindsey. Thank you. Drinks on me next time you're in DeKalb.

Here are links to our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/people/Huskie-Wire/100000026907286), Twitter (http://twitter.com/HuskieWire) and our HuskieWire website (http://www.huskiewire.com/)

9. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

One would assume they are going to have to read through a LOT of applications.

10. jackmac

jackmac Member

Solid paper, vastly improved in recent years. Great opportunity to do some D1 college coverage. Don't overlook this one.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Heard there were some phone interviews done recently.

12. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

Any updates on this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted