1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Illinois shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Billy Pritchard, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

The crime rate or the murder rate? Because we're talking about murders here, as far as I can see.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Inanimate objects? Yes, they're all created equal, Hondo. I know if I storm out-of-my-mind into a classroom with a bottle of Windex it's the same inanimate object as a fucking hand cannon. Just a matter of how I use it. Brilliant.

The same kind of brilliance that leads you to constantly claim the Koran is the root of all evil. But isn't that just an inanimate object too?

3. Perhaps it is the murder rate. Not sure which, but I seem to have read it has had the opposite effect of its intent.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think you're fooling yourself. Anybody can go out and get a gun today, and have it by Monday. You really think that's a hindrance to impulsiveness on Tuesday?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This tired conversation ... again? Ugh.

6. Maybe.

Perhaps the reason most of this seems to happen on college campuses and schools in general is because they're gun-free zones?

Something to think about.

7. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I can't say anything but thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families. I'm sure the talking heads will find time to lay blame on a variety of issues, but now's not the time when five families are making burial arrangements.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Maybe.

Perhaps the reason there aren't more of these on college campuses and schools in general is because they're gun-free zones.

Something else to think about.

9. True enough.

10. Touche.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Sorry, monkey.

I meant to say, RIP, how tragic, I guess Heaven needed some grad students and God needed some more angels, oh well, they're in a better place now.

Phew. All done. Now let's play some tennis!

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought about it ... that makes no sense. Doesn't explain away the occasional courthouse shooting, or blowing away hostages in a building surrounded by the law.

There's a smidgen of logic in "guns don't kill, people do" until you think for two seconds and realize there is no substitute for a gun when it comes to killing as many people as possible in the shortest period of time.

It's why say, the Latin Kings, don't use archery.

I mean, c'mon, how hard is this?

Draft saved Draft deleted