1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Illinois shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Billy Pritchard, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

CNN reporting 15 wounded, according to area hospitals, including six with head wounds. A shotgun was used.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why does the cynical person in me think that the gunman ended up killing himself?

If you want to do some crappy thing like this, why not just off yourself first, instead of giving other innocent people such grief?

Here's hoping everyone turns out O.K.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

NIU was on lockdown for a morning or so a few weeks ago because of a threat. No idea if this was the threat come to pass or separate from it.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

There are some people who now will think of this every Valentine's Day. Maybe we're talking about a rejected love interest?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would make sense...

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think it's cynical to think that he killed himself. Oftentimes in these cases, the gunman offs himself. That seems to be par for the course.

And I hope everybody pulls through, although I somehow doubt that's what will happen.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

CNN says the gunman killed himself, and it also says that three were critically wounded.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

You're not alone on that one. My brother's at ISU. The whole thing still scares the Hell out of me, though.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's it, America... make sure these people are well armed.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The story Angola! posted says four are dead, including the gunman.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

NY Times story said the gunman didn't go to school there.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Could be a girlfriend or ex-girlfriend, I guess. This just sucks from every angle. How do people become diseased enough to do these things?

Draft saved Draft deleted