1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northern Arizona University football beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by champ, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Fixed

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Dick. :D

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I was right and you know it.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Did rates go up?

5. Considering what this paper pays and the cost of living in Flagstaff, you better be married to someone making a shitload of money or prepared to have a roomie or three.

6. champ

champ New Member

That is not true, though it will certainly put more beer money in your pocket.
    Here is one person's opinion on this opening, FWIW:
    Good beat.
    Good city (though expensive).
    Small paper (not bad on the surface but it acts smaller than it has to).
    Bad SE.
    Meddlesome ME (but not too bad).
    As noted before, people do move on from Flagstaff.
    Because of some of the negatives noted, perhaps better for a college grad who doesn't know any better. But they are probably seeking more experience.

7. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Doug Oliver would beg to differ, Cosmo. Violently.

8. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I had no roommates, but I also had to move to news side after 18 months in order to negotiate a raise from a salary that qualified me for the power company's low-income program to one that occasionally allowed me to take my girlfriend to dinner at Oregano's. You can make it on what is likely no more than a $21-22k starting salary, but just barely.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And this frustrates the hell out of me, because it used to be that the Sun acted much bigger than it really was.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll add my two cents' on Flagstaff being a fun, cool town, especially in summer and fall. But, yeah, it's expensive as hell. Though I guess you could commute from Cameron or Tuba City. Or maybe not.

11. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

I'd be all over this job if I was graduating before December. Stupid college.

12. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I heard they had stud SE about 6 or 7 years ago

Draft saved Draft deleted