1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northeastern football will be undefeated next year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Because the school cut the sport

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-cfb/20091123/20091123122823770000101/

Is it just me or is Championship Subdivision football a money pit?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Third thread mentioning this and counting.

3. Smallpotatoes

All I could find were posts about this in threads about other things.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I can hear the North Dakota State rubes from here clamoring for the return of Rocky Hager.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably. Except that with only 63 scholarships, most programs have another 30-40 kids on the team who are walk-ons and who pay full tuitions and fees.

EVERY SINGLE INTERCOLLEGIATE SPORT except some power-conference football programs, and virtually every power-conference men's basketball program, can be described as a "money pit," if by a "money pit" you mean it operates at a deficit.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

John Silber is proud.
    The Huskies have invited us over for a woot-off next Homecoming.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I remember during my senior year at UConn, Boston University played its first game in Storrs after it got word that the football program would cease to be after the '97 season.

The Terriers wore their practice jerseys and taped over their helmet logo during the game. A sad, but cool, protest.

8. Smallpotatoes

My dad went to Northeastern and he always got a kick out of it whenever Howard Cosell said the late Bengals' tight end Dan Ross went to "little Northeastern University," which my dad always pointed out was the largest private university in the country.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Glad to see that they beat URI for their final game. That's kind of like being Tom Brady and retiring after beating the 2008 Detroit Lions.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought the University of Phoenix was the nation's largest private university.

Isn't that why the Cardinals always want to play in a college stadium?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

More like the 2009 Browns folding after beating the 2008 Lions.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Northeastern ever played Northwestern? It would have been cool if they had.

Draft saved Draft deleted