1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northeast Ohio entry level positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ArchStanton, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ArchStanton

ArchStanton New Member

Two Ohio positions open south of Youngstown and a little west of Pittsburgh. Small daily papers. Strictly entry level. Ogden owned.

http://hot-ads.com/newspaper/index.cfm?SID=OH&RGID=00100000000&CID=24&Category=1&Classification=101

SPORTSWRITER
    Needed for the Staff of the

Morning Journal
    Lisbon, Ohio.

Position requires a four-year degree, preferrably in journalism, communications or English. Prior sports reporting experience preferred, but not required. We're willing to train recent graduates who show a willingness to work hard, have an extensive knowledge of sports and solid writing ability. Pagination experience also a plus.

Send resume and samples of writing to:

SPORTSWRITER
    Morning Journal,
    308 Maple St.
    Lisbon, Oh 44432

SPORTS WRITER
    The Review, a daily newspaper in East Liverpool, Ohio, is seeking a full time Sports Writer to join its Associated Press Award winning sports staff.
    The qualified candidate must possess strong interviewing and writing skills, strong knowledge of sports and a command of the English language.
    A bachelor's degree in English, journalism or communications is preferred. Familiarity with the local sports scene is a plus.
    Benefits and 401(k) are offered.
    Send a cover letter, resume, references and samples of your work to:
    Rocco Longo, Sports Editor,
    THE REVIEW
    210 E. Fourth St.
    East Liverpool, OH 43920
    or e-mail to:
    rlongo@reviewonline.com

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I grew up in the area, maybe 30 minutes from each of those towns, but I have never heard of either of those papers.

But Lisbon is a decent town. So is East Liverpool. You're close to the big cities and, with any luck and kind editors, you might be able to swing some pro stuff into your workload. Cost of living can be relatively cheap.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I used to work with a guy who was once ME or something like that at the East Liverpool paper...he had the news judgment of an oyster. He was the real life Michael Scott.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

East Liverpool is a hole.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My roommate freshman year was from East Liverpool. She hated it there.

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I'm an apologist, Dye.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but was she hot?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you like short, blonde cheerleaders, I suppose she was.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, i hate those ... shit, wrong thread, AGAIN.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I thought Liverpool was in England, not Ohio.

11. East Liverpool IS a hole, a run-down steel town that looks a lot like Steubenville. Lisbon's OK, for what it is. If you're looking to do quality work, I'm not sure either place is all that. That's not bad enough for you? Those papers are Ogden's. And if you ever wanted to see what life was like on a slave ship, take a job with those guys. While the Ogden family sits back in its luxury box at PNC Park (they're the majority owner of the Pirates now), they make their grunts buy their own pens and notebooks. Great bunch.

Short, blonde cheerleaders? Guess it's possible. Traci Lords was from Steubenville....

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're quite happy with life, aren't you, newbie?

Draft saved Draft deleted