1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Korea's 2nd nuclear test

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 25, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

As reported by CNN, which is calling it "North Korea's Nuclear Defiance" in the on-screen graphic.

Seismic disturbance hitting 4.7 on the Richter scale emanating from the North Korean web site.

1stADD:<blockquote> SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council called an emergency meeting Monday after world leaders reacted with outrage to North Korea's latest nuclear test.

North Korea earlier said it had tested the weapon in an underground explosion, provoking an angry response from the world's governments.

It had threatened to conduct the test if the U.N. Security Council did not apologize for imposing sanctions on North Korea after it tested a rocket April 5.</blockquote>http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/24/nkorea.nuclear/index.html
  2. KG

KG Active Member

By no means do I feel comfortable about N. Korea testing weapons like this, but it's not like we don't have weapons that could squash theirs like a bug. I'd be afraid to even find out the extent of nasty weapons we have.
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No doubt North Korea is bad news, but I think Kim Jong Il and his Kim Jong ilk are using the bomb as a bargaining chip for self-preservation.

They saw what we did to Iraq, which Fredo knew didn't have a bomb program all along. They also see what we're not doing to Iran, which is pursuing nukes and may already have a few on the side, no thanks to A.Q. Khan.

So I think they're getting a bomb as a deterrent to being attacked, not as something to blow up Anchorage with. They're crazy, but I don't think they're suicidal.
Draft saved Draft deleted