1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Korea has a hockey team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Jun 12, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

...and Deadspin got a pretty good long-form story about their play while in South Africa.

Shocking, yes, they play a system and stick to that system. And of course, they praise "Great Leader".

http://deadspin.com/my-week-with-the-north-korean-hockey-team-512306903

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And they score 77 goals a game.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All by the Great Leader, despite his death.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hey, it's hockey, you know how they deal with injuries.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I've become more and more fascinated with stories about North Korea since recently finishing The Orphan Master's Son. Things in that novel seem so impossible. But with each subsequent real article about North Korea I read, the novel seems less impossible.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

wow, a team of pure evil that's about as good as a high school team in Minnesota? It's like the Colorado Avalanche.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Very cool story. Born in '82, my only real memory of the cold war was the wall being torn down. I hear stories about how the Russian hockey players were basically robots and about the air of mystery surrounding the team heading into the 1972 series. It is very strange to think how cut off and isolated these guys are, that there can be a team with that same mystique -- obviously at the other end of the quality spectrum -- as the Russians 41 years ago.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

We now know who the Mighty Ducks will play in D4, the Great Leader strikes back.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I would totally watch that. Hell, they can still probably get both Emilio Estevaz and Josh Jackson to play the leads, not like they're doing much right now anyway.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I know someone, who I believe posts here quite often, who once had a run-in with Julie 'The Cat' Gaffney.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They should move the team to Hamilton.

Draft saved Draft deleted