1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Korea doesn't blink

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Oct 8, 2006.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I' m sure the dirt-poor farmers in the country eating tree bark to survive are dancing around their huts celebrating the fact that their country has a nuke.
    The best thing we could do for those people is plant a tactical, low-range nuke under the Kim the Dog-Eater's port-a-potty. Gotta think if he's gone, everyone will rejoice like Munchkins when Dorothy dropped a house on the Witch of the East.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

From that bastion of liberalism, the Financial Times:

That said, my first reaction to this is not to jump to anything. Remember, these guys did a dick-swinging test a few months back, and their missle traveled about the same length as Tiger Woods off the tee.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The bomb supposedly had a 1/3 of the destructive power of the Hiroshima bomb, according to a report I saw. And North Korea has yet to prove it can produce a missile that can deliver it.

Not saying this isn't cause for concern, it is, but the Cuban Missile Crisis it ain't.

And as for the GOP conspiracy theories? Hey, I can't stand the GOP as much as the next person, but I find the notion that they somehow timed this news to boost their flagging poll numbers patently ridiculous.

5. There are already reports from the arms-control community that say this thing might have been a dud, which would account for why the early reports were so sketchy.
    Forget it, Joe. Clinton=bad. It's how an unfortunately large number of people learned their politics.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think the concern is that they would start lobbing missiles at Japan or the US but rather that they would give the nukes to somebody who could.

7. Anybody notice that Kim Jong Il has nearly the same hairstyle as Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn?

8. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2006_10/009701.php

Not so much for the post itself, per se, but the links are interesting.
    Could be that Dear Leader is just being a crazy person again.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Who would the N.Korean's give nukes to? In order to believe that N.Korea would go off selling secrets would be to demonstrate a lack of where they obtained the nuclear technology and information from.

Dr. AQ Kahn is the one selling nukes. He's also the guy that sold it off to those radicalized nations. He's the guy that brought it, on a Pakistani government plane, to North Korea. When the US is finally given the chance to talk to this guy by our good friends the Pakistanis, we will understand who has what knowledge. (Oh and our "good" friends aren't letting us go near this guy.)

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well for one thing they need to eat.

And they've been peddling military equipment for years.

11. THEY don't need to eat.
    Their people -- whom the government of NK has been notably negligent -- need to eat. But the people who would sell the nukes don't.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, but in order for N.Korea to sell it they would need a buyer that couldn't puchase it elsewhere, possibly for less.

Kahn's network provided Iran with the goods and Pakistan, obviously, has it as well. I believe it was Pakistan that started generating labs that could create mobile nukes. Since N.Korea is far behind Pakistan, they are the primary supplier.

N.Korea is using this to try and blackmail the US into providing money and/or food.

Draft saved Draft deleted