1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Korea doesn't blink

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bubbler....

What's Davey Johnson doing in that pic?

2. And yet the weapons of mass destruction are in Iraq :mad:

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not a damn thing Republicans OR Democrats could have done to stop this. We'll now see what everyone does about it.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

And I've been trying to tell people here that Kim Jong-Il is 10 times the loon that Saddam is. Saddam was a ruthless, evil man. Kim Jong-Il is ruthless, evil and what's worst, fucking insane.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Several thoughts on this:

1) You need major corroboration on this. It is very likely to be a hoax.

2) Why do people think Japan and China are "teaming" up to do anything on this? Those nations hate each other and China has documents signed stating that they would back N.Korea in any and all conflicts.

3) Kim Jung Il doesn't have much going on. The guy needs something for which to get some support. The guy is clearly not all that bright and probably, as a dictator, is quite paranoid. So, he pulls this shit.

For whatever reason Fredo thinks that China is going to put pressure on N.Korea to stop. That will NEVER happen. To the Chinese government this is all a big laugh.

This needs to be handled one on one. Make a deal so as to keep them quiet and "happy" for a while so that you can concentrate greater efforts on terrorist front.

6. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

My younger brother lives next to an Apache pilot and he was talking to him a while back about some recent training exercises his unit had completed.

My brother figured it would be some sort of Iraqi, Afghan or even Iranian simulation, but it wasn't - it was North Korea.

7. Well, the previous president managed to get this program shut down.
    But this bunch, operating on the principle of Clinton=bad, played cheap tough guy until everyone, even the crazy people, knew they were bluffing, and the plants that got shut down got opened again, and now we have another cock-up in the endless list at the North Koreans have a nuke.
    hecuva job.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As one of the "Jericho 3," I say, let the mystery continue — for now.

I absolutely cannot see this being any type of GOP Machiavellian plot to get Foley off the front pages. If it were, it would've happened LAST Sunday, right when the media piranhas were just starting to snap away.

Having said that, who's to say North Korea just didn't set off a shitload of dynamite to make it seem like a nuke? There seems to be some conjecture about that.

But you can thank Dim Son for this. The lesson NK learned from Iraq? Don't get WMD, and they'll say you have it and invade you. Get WMD, and they'll leave you alone.

The UN is talking sanctions, but the biggest mistake of all would be for China to cut the North Koreans off. As I have always said, the minute the North Koreans have nothing more to lose is the minute they march south.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I loved this line from the NK gov't

The test "brought happiness to our military and people"
    1st off, apparently the people matter less than the military there
    2nd, if that makes them happy, Kim Jong-Mentally-Il really has made that place a shithole.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hey, I know. Let's invade Iran!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't see how this could be a hoax but the coverage so far indicates that the explosion wasn't as strong as it was expected to be. So if they really did test a nuke it didn't deliver the payload that was expected.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I wonder if they're deliberately messing up missle and bomb tests to make us think they producing weapons that make SCUDS look like Fat Boys, only to jack us when we don't expect it. I mean, that doesn't make SENSE, but look at it from that dude's whacked-out perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted