1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Dakota's oil rush lures Chicago-area residents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who's moving?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't know if you'd call Sterling, Ill. near Chicago, but otherwise I already did this and came back. I'm ahead of the trends, as usual.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

While the main point is right, many of the statistics are off.

- Census put the population around 17,000 but expert estimates were 25-30,000 in 2010. They are now 30-35,000. (she needs to cite her experts because no study I've heard of says 38-42,000)
    - Housing shortage started well before 2010
    - It's the largest boom outside of Texas. North Dakota is second in oil production now and expected to pass Texas in a few years.

The bits about Walmart, rent prices, crime and fracking are true.

4. Why work in the oil fields when you can be SE in Dckinson asking $30K?

A lot of people move there with no plan. Have fun living in your car.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I liked the idea -- and I think it was yours -- to take Doodah's old job, get his apartment, quit, and take an oil field job.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This happened in Northern Alberta 15 to 20 years ago and is still going. They are paying close to 20 bucks an hour at fast food joints to try to keep employees.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

because Fracking is a cureall...
    http://www.startribune.com/local/170849581.html

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i've been to like 40 states. i've never been to either one of the dakotas ... never will. that's all i got.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not missed much but the Black Hills and Teddy Roosevelt National Park are great. Been to Teddy 4-5 times since moving here and every time I've gotten within 10 feet of buffalo.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

got darn close to buffalo as a kid at yellowstone. thought my grandfather was going to beat the bejesus out of me.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Reads just like an A-1 with its throwaway graf explaining what fracking is. I hate writing for news for that very reason. The sky, that thing above our heads that is blue and contains oxygen...

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Same here. South Dakota has many, many things worth visiting. North Dakota has fewer, but I don't understand the dismissiveness.

Draft saved Draft deleted