1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Dakota swimming in oil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 1, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: North Dakota swimming with oil

Did you?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No. But I would.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And Rick, I have a new favourite gif avatar.

Back to all this talk about the Dakotas and black gold.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it be "swimming IN oil?"

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Best time to see the PG is probably in September. Skeeters and the tourists are both gone and it (generally) hasn't started snowing yet.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sure the boom is great for some, but it honestly sounds like a depressing place to live.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/greetings-from-williston-north-dakota-20120713

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's been about two years since I left, and it wasn't *that* bad then if you were actually living in town and not in a man camp. The paper got us an incredible deal (by Williston standards) on our apartment.

But I've heard that right around the time we left is when it the critical mass was reached, so to speak, and it's gotten bad enough that I'm glad we don't live there anymore. I wouldn't feel like my wife was safe there anymore.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Lars .....

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This NASA pic always floors me.

[​IMG]

It's the lights of natural-gas flares burning as a result of the drilling, which by the estimate of one environmentalist, results in the waste of gas that could heat 500,000 homes per day.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/01/16/169511949/a-mysterious-patch-of-light-shows-up-in-the-north-dakota-dark

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's as bad as all that. I was talking to Amy Dalrymple, the Forum Communications reporter in Williston, and she, as well as the Enbridge and North Dakota Oil Can reps, said they feel perfectly safe. Amy said not a day goes by she's not called m'am.

She added that she feels the way Williston is portrayed in the national media represents doesn't show the whole picture. She cited a recent (possibly NYT?) story that focused on women there, saying the reporter had only talked to women who worked/frequented bars/truck stops and things like that. Not a good cross-section of the entire community at all.

She did point out the transiency of the whole place, saying she'd quote a guy for a story and then go back the next day for a follow-up and he'd be gone.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are women in North Dakota who don't frequent bars and truck stops?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted