1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Dakota swimming in oil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 1, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: North Dakota swimming with oil

Sounds interesting. Tell us more.

Could probably sell the story too.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not to step on Cubbiebum's story, but he's not exactly alone. There's hundreds of people showing up in that part of North Dakota and shedding their careers for "easy" oil money.

(Hint: It's not really that easy, it's tough physical labor. But you don't need anything more than a HS degree and a clean drug test to make some very good money).

3. YankeeFan

Sure, and their have been lots of stories saying as much.

Haven't read many/any good first person accounts though.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hear the male:female ratio in that area is, uh, well, not good.

But at least there's 321 days of winter and almost no affordable housing!

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

GOOD men are few and far between, though. The selection I've seen isn't too encouraging.

Housing: Just today, three different people came to my organization looking for a place to live. If you come to seek your fortune, line up a place to stay before dragging your infants in their car seats up here. Please.

6. Re: North Dakota swimming with oil

Don't know any who have made it rich working in the oil fields, but have acquatainces who have done well in the construction business there. One was on Jimmy Kimmel last week as part of some game.

There is one guy on the board who left the business after a few months and is back in newspapers. That's the type of story that isn't being told.

7. Re: North Dakota swimming with oil

A friend of mine gets several calls per week about housing from members of our church who want to move to the area. Unless you have the money or credit to buy, it will be several years before the housing situation stabilizes.

8. YankeeFan

I'd read his story too. Run 'em side by side.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

If North Dakota mimics Alberta there will soon be the infrastructure to support more workers and work camps.

The oil companies up here fly workers in from across the country into their own airports. If the long term viability is there, you could see air charters from Minneapolis or Chicago filled with workers.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Infrastructure is catching up but it is slow. North Dakota is a very right leaning state that has a strong history of not liking taxes. That stifles what the city can do.

There is also the major issue of Fargo/Grand Forks area. They are not affected by the oil on the west side of the state but they control nearly half the state's government representation. If they are against something, it won't pass. They have stonewalled many bills that would have helped the oil affected area.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Eagleford shale in South Texas is booming just as big. The food there's better and winter is just a bad rumor.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't believe I gave you guys my oil country McDonald's story for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted