1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Colorado: 51st state

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 7, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Five lame posts.

2. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Maybe it's to fit in with a lame site. Everything on here is boring. Which might say why I've had five posts in three weeks.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

I don't know if it's still in effect, but Kennesaw, Ga., passed such a law in the '80s.

4. TheSportsPredictor

I would never become a member of a website that would choose to accept someone like me!

5. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Just sayin...this is a thread that yearns to be something it can't be. Water and farming? C'mon. Are those code words I'm not privy to?

6. TheSportsPredictor

Since you've brought your greatness here, why don't you illuminate us with it and turn this thread into all it can be.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Water is not really an issue. In Colorado water rights are treated as a property right. A person can buy and sell water rights. So the farmers in Northwestern Colorado would presumably retain their water rights jsut as they would there water rights.

But Colorado has changed from a pretty red state to one that leans democratic pretty quickly. In 1998 Republicans controlled both senate seats, the governor's chair and both houses of the legislature. Now the Dems do. The Denver suburban counties of Arapahoe and Jefferson and also Larimer County in Northern Colorado now slightly lean democratic. Those three counties are 25% of the State's population. Given the growing Hispanic population that trend will probably continue and Colorado is on it's way to becoming another California. So if you are a conservative farmer you probably feel left out.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And you've had to edit every one of them?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Somehow I don't think you've only been here three weeks.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In 1804 the average Congressional District average 40,000 (33,000 at the founding of the republic)
    Today the average Congressional District is nearly 700,000, with the largest being Montana at over 968,000 (1 rep) and the smallest Rhode Island at 526,000 (2 reps).

40,000 a District today would mean a House of Representatives of over 7500 rather than 435.

11. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Oh. Well, I could certainly understand by that attitude how people get run off from here.

12. TheSportsPredictor

It's shocking that someone named Pain in the Ass who comes in with a condescending attitude and adds nothing of value is worried about getting run off. Can't figure that one out.

Draft saved Draft deleted