1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norm Van Lier dead at 61

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Feb 26, 2009.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I caught him on one of the Chicago sports radio stations the day after he wasn't invited to be a part of the Johnny 'Red' Kerr halftime ceremony. He was an angry man that day.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seemed like a cool dude. RIP.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

And now comes word that Kerr died Thursday (apologies if it's a d_b). What a shit day to be a Bulls fan.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Just saw that. Wow.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy crap. RIP to Red too.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Stunned, again. That is too bizarre. This has been one long sad day.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh my god. I didn't know about Red Kerr until now. I was bowling for a charity fundraiser and I'm watching Comcast Chicago.

This is a bad day for Bulls fans. And, not to add wood to the fire, but shame on the Bulls for not inviting Norm. Both legends die on the same day with that unfortunate incident hanging over them and the team.

8. OK, I think that's the thing I read about Norm's standing with the organization.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In your AP stories he played for the Midland Leopards not the Midland Chemics.

sigh...

EDIT - It looks like the Trib Review was the only one that screwed that up.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Norm Van Lier played in the first NBA game I ever attended -- in 1978, at Chicago Stadium, John Havelick's last game in Chicago. RIP Norm.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Van Lier and Jerry Sloan were the nastiest backcourt of the early 70s. You did not come out of a game against them without multiple bruises.

Kerr was one of the great big men of the earlier NBA and a great guy.

RIP to two of the NBA's finest.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted