1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norm Van Lier dead at 61

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Feb 26, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this is a d_b, but I just heard that former Bulls star and color guy Norm Van Lier was found unresponsive at his Chicago home around 11am this morning. He was pronounced dead a short time ago, the Chicago Trib is reporting.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh my God.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

RIP. Damn. 61. Young.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn. RIP.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just so so sad about this. Norm was incredibly cool to me in Chicago, and his wife Susan is even cooler...she lives in LA, I believe.

As much as he could talk about basketball, every conversation seemed to lead back to the Stones, and his crazy times partying with them back in the day. No doubt he took a lot of great untold stories with him today. RIP, Stormin Norman. :'(

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Was he currently a broadcaster? I though the Bulls are on the road right now.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-02-26-1622159365_x.htm

8. No. Actually, he and the Bulls were on the outs in recent years, IIRC.

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently, he was doing some work as an analyst for CSN Chicago. I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was friction between him and the team.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know what will be discussed tonight in Midland, PA.

He was the alum of a once-proud school that my aunts and uncles all attended.

Man, they could play some f'ing basketball there. They ruled for decades.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know the Big O is taking this hard. Stormin Norman looked up to Big O.
    RIP

11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Norm was well liked by the Bulls organization and the fans. Only Jerry Krause had problems with NVL.

Norm and Jerry Sloan made up the toughest backcourt duo in NBA history. RIP Stormin' Norman.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I completely forgot he was from here.

Draft saved Draft deleted