1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norm Macdonald's 1998 ESPYs monologue...fairly spicy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Less than a minute in: "It's hard to believe the ESPYs are six years old... but Anthony Mason believes they're 18."

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

5:20: "Michael Jordan retiring is terrible news for Bulls fans, but good news for golf hustlers."

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This was classic (with Blake Griffin):

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You can still make any of those jokes today -- if you want to maintain your artistic integrity and not be a sellout.[/crossthread].

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only jokes that I don't think would have any chance of making it today would be the Anthony Mason joke and maybe the East German skater joke.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The East German skater joke? That was one of the last ones I'd have thought people would think is off the table today.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jonathan Winters monolog at the 1983 NBA All Star Game dinner in LA was cringe worthy.

He started talking about Japs and Big African American men and the room was dead silent.

I've never seen a comedian bomb so badly.

In today's world he would have been toast.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Would the East German line have been funnier if he was talking about a country that existed at the time?

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Same thought I had. He said he'd just watched this despite the fact that East Germany had ceased to exist in 1990.

Still a damn good line, though.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You were there?

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

THe Mason line was great. Mason carried the biggest roll of cash I have ever seen. I swear he had at least 20K in hundreds on him when I saw it. He had to take it out to bend over to tie his shoes...it was that big (no homo).

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Thank you, Roy Hibbert.

Draft saved Draft deleted