1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norm MacDonald, Thomas Haden Church on Conan tonite

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 31, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Norm McDonald: nonentity except on SJ

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've never thought he was funny and that feeling was confirmed tonight. A waste of 15 minutes of air time.
    And, for the record, it wasn't the Sacramento Bee he had, but the L.A. Daily News.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Artie is consistently one of the best guests out there, one of those guys who gets booked a ton on Letterman and Kimmel not because he's so famous but because he's candid and never boring.

The only time he's been a controversial guest was the Joe Buck show and that was when he was told before the show started to "Do your thing if it gets slow" by the producers.

The best talk-show guests are rarely the biggest stars. I'd rather watch Lange, Tracy Morgan, Adam Carolla, Kathy Griffin than most A-listers because they go on there and are actually funny, rather than just show up to plug their movie.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Thomas Haden Church (who I just saw as the CEO of Brawndo in Idiocracy) was the guest on one of my all-time favorite random talk show appearances. He was the guest on the Daily Show back when Kilborn was hosting and did Five Questions every night, and the first four questions to Church all had the answer "Wings". The fifth was something absurd, along the lines of "How many grains of sand are there in the world?" Church sputtered through it and then Kilborn admitted he just didn't want him to answer all five questions correctly.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Arguably the best Weekend Update anchor ever. (It's close between him, Miller and Fey)

The guy was fired for making too many OJ jokes. Gotta love him for that.

I enjoyed "The Norm Show"

His movies have been awful, although Dirty Work is a guilty pleasure.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

My TV doesn't work. I'm going to watch it on hulu.com.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

You mean with those two on, they couldn't squeeze in Steven Wright to really add to the dryness (and thus insure I would avoid watching it)?

Sad to say, I haven't watched Conan since his debut week.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sub-par effort by Norm.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He seems to be having that effect on people.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the usual

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

How can you even tell how much effort Norm is giving though?

And, to crossthread a bit with the Adam Carolla thread, Norm told the greatest story ever on the Carolla's old morning show once. He threw it in the pail of his best friend's wife... while his friend was outside mowing the lawn. Good times, good times.

12. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Norm is fucking painful. Interestingly, his brother Neil is CBC Tv's Washington correspondent.

Draft saved Draft deleted