1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norfolk, Milwaukee - am I missing any?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 17, 2014.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of similar complaints in TV -- the GM is always from the sales side, never the news side -- and you're exactly right.

Several years ago my station promoted a guy to GM whose experience was entirely in news. Nice guy, but a complete mess as GM... and was a giant pain in the ass for new to deal with. He didn't last long. Current GM is from a sales background and is infinitely better.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not just off-season. If a coach gets fired or a player gets suspended mid-season, local media likely won't be the first to report it.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Depends on the local media. There are some tenacious local guys still out there. Evan Grant's pretty damn good in Dallas, Dejan Kovacevic in Pittsburgh, John Fay in Cincinnati, etc. (No, I'm not friends with any of them. lol) It just depends on the market.

Funny we should bring up Kansas City. The Star has done a kick-ass job on the special sections, but it's the pessimist in me that wonders whether McClatchy will order massive space cuts following the World Series because too much newsprint was used... (rolls eyes)

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Has the Royals run moved the Star's product? Because if such a thing were any longer possible it would be there.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So Milwaukee no longer has a sports columnist?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Favors the beat person as insider/expert, I believe.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hunt had already been scaled back off columns and was on the Marquette beat the last two or three seasons. They'd occasionally let him write a column, but it was more like one or two a month rather than three or four a week.

That company went from owning the city and big parts of the state with two papers and TV and radio stations to being near extinction. The broadcast properties will not be headquartered in Milwaukee when this Scripps merger is finalized. The paper will be supposedy headquartered in Milwaukee, but the owners really aren't in or from Milwaukee. The Journal Sentinel is dying a very ugly death that is painful to watch. The product is so diminished now that they can't even advertise it as an important part of the community.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I looked up the financial reports. The Journal had operating earnings of 13 million dollars in 2013. I wonder if Gannett, once the publishing arm is spun off, will start buying properties like the Journal. These properties are for sale at 4-5 times cash flow. So a chain could come in, cut costs some more and pay off the investment in five-six years if they cans stabilize the revenue picture. Are there buyers out there are is the perception that there is now ay to stanch the revenue losses annually?

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's the impression I've gotten as well.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

FYI (or FWIW), Michael Hunt has confirmed via his Facebook page he's taking the buyout at MJS.

Draft saved Draft deleted