1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nope, TV stations aren't exempt, either.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spup1122, Feb 2, 2009.

1. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Opened up my tvjobs.com page today and found 6 stories about TV stations laying off employees.

At least one was a Media General property that laid off its main anchor. The first African American female anchor in Toledo was also let go, and a female anchor in Kansas chose to leave as the station re-evaluated its situation.

There were two more links of stations restructuring newsrooms or telling employees to reinvent themselves.

I have personal beliefs that some of this stems from the economy and some stems from stations paying millions of dollars to go digital and high def, but just goes to show, no one is safe out there.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Station I used to work for is rumored to be ceasing its news operation in the very near future. It's an ABC affiliate.

Most people in the building are without jobs when they finally pull the plug.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

In this economy, nobody in any business is exempt ... NOBODY!

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Stations are hacking like crazy now. Look for a lot of high-price talent to disappear as soon as their contracts expire. And yes, exactly right that it has a lot to do with the digital switch and HD. The economy tanked and killed advertising revenue just as stations were forced to make huge capital expenditures.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I mean, I know how much my station near market 100 spent. I'm amazed more talent hasn't been laid off at that station. So far, no one has lost their jobs, minus a meteorologist who got outright fired. The layoffs there have been confined to the business side of the station.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Business is booming for the repo man

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Funny you say that. A colleague and I were talking about getting second jobs — as repo men.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I knew a guy who did that. Sometimes he got shot at. Sometimes he got propositions from women who wanted to keep their cars.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So much for the local content thing... of course, it's been toothless for years

Draft saved Draft deleted