1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nope. Nuh uh. No way in the world.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The view. The freakiest part is when you realize those rooftops below you are on top of buildings that themselves are probably 30 or 40 stories tall.

Chicago-2 copy.jpg

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I did this a few years ago, that was brutal at start, then got used to it.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A few things:
    Heights don't bother me - buildings, bridges, dams, overlooks - as long as I am on the correct side of the rail. When I was in the Navy, I worked on all the antennas on the mast of the ship. I would probably still do that today because it was never precarious.
    I don't ride rollercoasters where the main part is a huge vertical drop. Loops, rolls, etc., I'll ride all day and all night. I just don't like the huge plunge.
    Earlier in life, I've been on top of my family's barn a dozen or more times. A couple of years ago, my dad wanted me to fix something on the roof. We have a 40-foot extension ladder, and it was in the bed of a truck. It barley reached the top. I climbed the ladder and would have had to swing off the ladder, over and up to get on the roof. I locked up. "What do you want me to reach and fix?" I was fine on the ladder. "Get on the roof." I tried again. Nope. "Not happening. I'll stay here all day and do whatever. I can't swing over to get out there." "You used to." "I used to be 20 years old!"

Vombatus, Batman and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Sea Bass, Deskgrunt50 and SFIND like this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Safe or Out?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The top at Seven Falls in Colorado.
    Beautiful and breathtaking scenery.
    Done once.
    Never again.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I have never had vertigo/problems with heights until stepping out on that ledge. Had great time and no problems looking out the windows there, but the second I looked down and saw that view with my feet, I nearly fell over. Recovered quickly though.

Batman likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Last year I was in Barcelona and visited Sagrada Familia, this massive, cartoonish church I admit I had not heard of before going. There are these very tall spires you can take an elevator to the top of and the view from up there is incredible. I think they’re 550 feet high.

However, they don’t tell you there’s no elevator down. You have to take an extremely narrow spiral staircase all the way down, and there’s no handrail for much of it. It was just terrifying. Never again.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No, gracias.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Noooooooope.
    If I were to step out on that ledge, the good people many many many feet below would look up in awe and wonderment why the water looked so dark and murky?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted