1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nonconference scheduling - broken down (almost)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IGotQuestions, Dec 4, 2007.

1. You might be interested in a piece I wrote back in September after a discussion with SEC Commish Mike Slive:

SEC Commissioner Sees Only Upsides to Intersectional Games

Georgia has traditionally had a weak non-conference schedule, but AD Damon Evans is trying to schedule games that Vince Dooley would never entertain.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Helped along quite nicely by Bill Snyder.
    Now, it seems, Mangino has taken a play from Snyder's scheduling book.
    Ron Prince had Louisville last year, and this year picked up Auburn. Every one in the KSU camp thought he was bat-chit crazy.
    But it appears as though he is polarizing himself from the Bill Snyder school of scheduling.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Not trying to be an ass, but:

Georgia this year: vs. Okla. State, vs. Western Carolina, vs. Troy, at Georgia Tech.

in 2006: vs. Western Kentucky, vs. UAB, vs. Colorado (not sure when it was scheduled), vs. Georgia Tech

2005: vs. Boise State, vs. La.-Monroe, at Georgia Tech.

in 2008: vs. Georgia Southern, vs. Central Michigan, Arizona State (scheduled 4 years ago?), Georgia Tech.

Georgia ain't exactly trying here. Quite frankly, if the SEC were that good of a conference, logic says they could withstand playing more I-A teams, even shit ones from shit conferences, and less I-AA, right? But I-AA on top of Troy, Central Michigan, UAB, Colorado (depending when they were scheduled)????

4. Until this year with the always on 12 game schedule, UGA only played a D-1AA when they were allowed to with the 4-year cycle if memory serves me correctly. So the scheduling had to be done to guarantee 6 home games a year. This means a weakened schedule. The very fact that UGA is scheduling games against teams like Colorado, Ok State, and AZ State does, to me, show they are trying. They also have Louisville on the schedule for 2011 and 2012. Georgia Tech will always be on the schedule because it has to be.

Add to that the SEC Schedule they have. Next year they have a four week stretch against South Carolina, ASU, Alabama and Tennessee.

What more would you want a school to do?

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

???
    Actually, Georgia's Web site shows 4 straight road games at LSU, Florida, Kentucky and Auburn next year.

And Georgia had 7 home this year and last year, and 8 home in 2002-03. They had 6 in 04-05 and 03-04. I don't understand how guaranteeing 6 home games equates to a weakened schedule. 6 home, 6 road; 7 home, 5 road; so what?

6. 7 in 2002-03, unless you are counting the SEC Championship in the GA Dome.

I guess you would have to call Mr Evans and ask him. Personally, I would love to see a game between Georgia and Ohio State/Michigan/USC/Add name here...

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

eye, yeah, i misread atlanta as athens for that last one. I mean, I do see how SEC teams have to set up home and homes to off-set, but it's all in the opponent. Almost any small I-A team would take the loss and travel to an SEC school for the paycheck (CMU to Georgia next year). That's better than scheduling a I-AA team, though Michigan fans might argue otherwise. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted