1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-sports jobs, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We're adding a few folks here, not in sports (yet) but some pretty darn good positions. If these interest you, get in touch and I'll forward you to the right people. I can tell you this is an excellent place to work. Management is very supportive, not intrusive. Circulation is growing at a good pace (this is the six-month anniversary of the relaunch as a 'full' newspaper) and you won't find many better places to live, if any.

Among the openings:

*White House reporter
    *Intelligence reporter
    *National political reporter (great time to land a job like that - we will travel with campaigns)

I can't tell you what any of these jobs pay - I do know the salary range they laid on me when I built the sports staff was competitive and fair and an upgrade over what the paper was paying previously.

Added bonus: You get to work with me. OK, so maybe that's not much of a bonus. But if you can overlook that, this is a very good place to be.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't get discouraged if you think you need big-paper experience to work at the Washington Times. I was offered a job at a 25K daily to replace a guy who got hired on there.

3. IrishScribe

IrishScribe New Member

Based on you saying not sports (yet).... Do you anticipate growing the sports staff in the near future? Any idea when?

4. Moderator1

yes. Well, I hope to grow the sports staff but it's only been six months. When? No idea but it will not be this calendar year. If it is, I will consider it a pleasant surprise and move quickly.

Speaking of moving quickly, don't dally if these jobs interest you.

5. TitusMohler

TitusMohler New Member

I graduated from Old Dominion University in 2007 with a degree in Communication, entering post-college life with nothing but the far-fetched idea of being a screenwriter for network TV drama shows. I have drifted from different jobs over the last four years, not sure of what I wanted to do for a more practical career. Given my interest in screenwriting, I am currently considering journalism because it is still storytelling, and there is an audience. (Any reporters on here please feel free to identify whether or not that is a strong enough motivation to get into the business and actually enjoy it.)

The opportunities listed here for the Washington Times sound very exciting, but I don't really have journalism experience outside of articles I wrote for a couple journalism classes in college. What would someone like me need to do in order to be considered for the opportunities listed in this thread?

Thank you for your time!

6. Moderator1

That's a tough one TitusMohler. As stitch noted, size doesn't matter here. We don't care if you were at a smaller paper or a web site or whatever. But competition for all jobs is difficult these days and you'll run up against applicants with more experience. I'd try to route Stitch mentioned, where he got an offer to take the job of someone who came here. Get a little experience (easy to say and I know it is tough to do but stay after it and be willing to move) and more opportunities will be within your reach.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

C'mon Moddy... He'd be perfect as your White House reporter...

8. harddaysnight

harddaysnight New Member

Mr. Moderator, do you have any idea if the copy desk will be expanding?

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Related to HardDaysNight question: Think they'll be looking for editors on news side a notch above copy editor?

10. Moderator1

Not sure if the copy desk plans to expand. It is a U-Desk. It added an editor and a designer when the paper went "full service" again.

11. Provonian

Provonian New Member

What's the experience of the applicants looking like so far? I'm very interested, and really want to get into news. But my only experience is the past two years working prep sports in Southern Nevada. Do I stand any chance?

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

That was supposed to be in blue font, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted