1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non sequitur theatre: Results of Lake Nellie accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I meant to post this a few weeks ago after the loss of the NFL players in the boating accident off the coast of Florida, but it got me wondering whatever happened to the those who went on after the 1993 spring training boat accident that killed the Indians' Steve Olin and Tim Crews: namely Bobby Ojeda (who I now understand has joined the Mets studio show on WFAN) and Kevin Wickander, who was supposed to be on the boat but wasn't.

Ojeda seems to be okay.

Wickander? Not so much. Most recent info I can find is from seven years ago, when he was just about to start a four-year jail sentence.
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2002-11-07/news/speedball/
    Sad ending. I remember afterwards, Wicky was just addled by the loss of Olin, his best friend. Was traded to the Reds after just a few months in a sympathetic move by the Tribe to just try to get him away from a daily ritual of just staring at Olin's locker.

Hopefully, he's kicked the meth habit (I'm sure four years in the pokey will help with that). But I wonder what the epilogue of this story is...

Draft saved Draft deleted