1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Profit prep sports site going under

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kezar for Keeps, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kezar for Keeps

Kezar for Keeps New Member

I personally know the guy the guy that runs SanFranPreps.com, which has covered San Francisco high schools for almost three years and just announced he's going to be closing the site down.

He started it as a student at San Francisco State University and then made it a non-profit org, but has run out of money.

First off, you can see his fundraising update at this link (http://www.sanfranpreps.com/2013/01/28/fundraising-update-our-final-week-of-coverage/) but there are multiple topics on this subject that I think are worth discussion.

He started the site because the local media had abandoned covering high school sports in The City, but his non-profit model has turned out to be unsustainable. Prep sports sites seem to be springing up everywhere, but have any at this hyper-local level been able to be financially viable?

I have 1,000 other thiughta on this, but I'll stop there.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sad! Even nonprofits have to make money, plus they have to jump thru a gazillion hoops to keep their status. I'm curious about his means of fundraising.

3. Kezar for Keeps

Kezar for Keeps New Member

Here is an article that better explains the site.

http://www.cjr.org/news_startups_guide/2011/12/sanfranprepscom.php

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There are a million great ideas out there to improve society that don't last because no one has figured out how to make them profitable.

Draft saved Draft deleted