1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-playoff baseball news: Leo Mazzone fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't forget about Jay Gibbons.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, the Orioles would have sucked with or without Mazzone (and this comes from a lifelong O's fan). But this, like always, is about the new manager wanting his own guy in there. No one blamed Mazzone for the mess, but certainly the pitching didn't improve the two years he was there. Perhaps Terry Crowley (hitting coach) should be next (cue the Earl Weaver outtake).

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was Guthrie really on the brink of anything before Mazzone got there?

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Some folks in Seattle are saying that Mel Stottlemyre is a slam dunk for the M's pitching coach job if he wants it. Others say, nope, Jim Colburn. I say, welcome to the guessing game, Leo.

If I had to bet: Stottlemyre.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe Todd Stottlemyre can be the fifth starter, too.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

What's Toddy Ballgame doing these days, running the baseball camp in Yakima?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The man who failed twice to help propel the Padres into the playoffs in the final weekend (and a day) had elbow surgery this past week.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/weblog/2007/10/hoffman_has_elbow_surgery.html

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wonder what Dave Duncan's status is since Jocketty is out and La Russa's on the bubble.

Draft saved Draft deleted