1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-journalists cheering in press box. Should I say something?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Oct 20, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pre season

Joe Bugel, Chris Chandler, Steve Beuerlein, Gary Clark, Eric Swann and a host of others.

Cosmo, was J.D. Hayworth in office yet? I could see him doing that crap.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I remember I was covering a playoff hockey game once with the arena sold out. They decided to put the bus drivers visiting in the press box, but cautioned them not to make a sound from the back row.

Sure enough, in the first period there were complaints, but not about the drivers. The visiting team had what we thought were two assistant coaches - one keeping stats, and another cheering and clapping madly on plays, yelling "Attaboy Johnny" type things and so on. We complain to the statistician running the box, and eventually, he gets the right guy.

We talk to the other coach at the start of the second and he says he hasn't got a clue who the guy was or how he got through security. We don't see him for the rest of the game.

The guy was definitely an annoyance... so I'd say bring it up and get it dealt with. All of us might be guilty of a "wow" once in a while, or a quick joke about some player's struggles in there, but that's a far cry from cheering incessantly.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"May we see your press credential?"

"I don't have one."

"Then you can't come into the press box."

Sure they can stop it.

4. WS

WS Member

I wasn't there, but I hear Bobby Hebert had a hell of a time in the pressbox at the LSU-Auburn game. His kid plays is on the team at LSU

5. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Hila
    Hilarious, Jeremy.

As for the point of this thread, I think I'm going to give people the evil eye whenever they cheer...

Or piss in their drinks and load viruses onto their computers when they're not looking. An eye-for-an-eye, right?

6. KP

KP Active Member

Back to the original post, you mention the visiting beat guy being "a cool guy." Ever think to just give him a nudge and say, "Hey, can we get your buddy to stop cheering?"

7. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I'll do exactly that.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Ummm....yeeaaaahh...I'm gonna need your buddy to go ahead and stop cheering.

9. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

They won the World Series in 1987. I went to college with Stan Musial's grandson and went with him to the 1985 series where we sat in the box next to Ashcroft's. He was wearing a hat that was Cardinals on the front and Royals on the back, which he would turn around depending on which team was batting. We were young, dumb, and full of beer, so at some point in the middle of the game, we started giving him crap for not picking a side. He came over to us, joked around, told us he was a huge Cards fan, but basically said "What are you going to do?"

As an aside, Stan Musial is the humblest, kindest person I think I've ever met and so appreciative of his good fortune that he seems genuinely embarrassed about it. When we were leaving the hotel for dinner, he left an hour before us so that he could sign autographs and shake hands in the lobby, rather than duck out the back. I don't think I've ever seen reverence for someone the way I saw it for Stan Musial in St. Louis during a Cardinals World Series.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Stanisław Franciszek Musiał

Just another Pittsburgher that's done well for himself.

I did not know this, but it is a great peice of trivia...

Musial shares the same birthday and birthplace as current Cincinnati Reds outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. In fact, statistician Bill James once called Griffey "the second-best left-handed hitting, left-handed throwing outfielder ever born in Donora, Pennsylvania on November 21. - Wikipedia

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

They won? Somone please tell the Twins, and MLB for that matter.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No kidding. I just got done writing a book commemorating the Twins' World Series for the 20th anniversary. Boy is my face red.

Draft saved Draft deleted