1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-journalists cheering in press box. Should I say something?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Oct 20, 2007.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't like it just for the "guilt by association" factor. Would hate for fans to look into the pressbox and see fanboys cheering and confuse them with real media.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Should you say something?

No. Kill them silently.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're joeking, right?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Cardinals moved for the 1988 season. They were the St. Louis Cardinals until 1987, when they became the Phoenix Cardinals.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

I must be.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I knew it.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I was covering a college hockey game between Minnesota and Colorado College in 1995. They were No. 1 and No. 2 in the country. There were no North Stars, no Wild. It was late in the season and it was suddenly the place to be in Twin Cities sports -- at least for that weekend. The press box, which is normally about 3/4 full, was jam-packed with beat guys, columnists and many others, including then-talk-radio host Jesse Ventura (post-wrestling, pre-governor). Minnesota scored and Jesse went nuts, whoopin' and hollerin'. The SID made an announcement about no cheering in the press box, and Jesse basically said he could do whatever he wants. "Have they ever heard of the First Amendment?" he said. Priceless. Of course, he forgot about the First Amendment when he became governor and was getting questioned by the press.

8. Just because radio guys do it doesn't make it right. The press box is still a workplace. If they want to cheer, buy a fucking ticket, sit in the fucking stands and cheer your fucking head off.

I remember there were three radio guys practically giving each other head when the home college team scored an upset. How embarrassing is that? They were disturbing the visiting media. I go to the SID, who did his job. Next thing I know, I was told that one radio guy called me out on the air in an apparent lengthy diatribe. I say apparent because I don't listen to the moron's show. Obviously, he's too thick to get it and has zero professional ethics or courtesy. I don't care that I got called out, though. At least the dudes shut up during games now.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was in the press box when 1920s guy began yelling, "Hooray! Hooray!"

I cleaned his clock.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

When the cops asked what happened say, "I Didntdoit(19)."

11. bigugly

bigugly Member

The worst press box for cheering is Notre Dame. I am not a ND fan, but let me say this. The SID's are great and the employees are among the best. What stinks are the amount of fans in the press box and although the SID's don't like it, they really can't stop it.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

93 Devil ... Did you happen to attend the 1998 Cardinals-Chargers game in which Arizona clinched its only playoff berth in the last two decades by rallying for a field goal with like 13 seconds left? Because in the presser after that game, all of the TV guys in the back of the room gave Jake Plummer a standing fucking ovation after he answered his questions. I've never been more embarrassed to be in the profession ...

Draft saved Draft deleted