1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-journalists cheering in press box. Should I say something?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Definitely say something to the media relations person. You're trying to do your job. And who bring a "friend?"

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Politely mention that you are working and that they can take their celebrations, taunts, silly string and confetti somewhere else.

If it happens again after that, have a little heart-to-heart ...

When it comes to minor-league hockey, just make sure the league's scorekeepers keep their carbonated beverages far away from your laptop. :eek:

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One of the truly great moments in U.S. Republican Politics

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

You're trying to do your job -- and the media relations guy needs to do his. Make sure he knows there's a problem. It will cut way down on future problems.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Really? He was a governor and walked around with a t-shirt with his name on the back?

What a goober. Did it have a number, too? Like 69, or something?

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I think that's Mel Brooks, but I don't get it. Is that supposed to be like a pancake-headed rabbit or something? What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was in a press box for an Arizona Cardinals preseason football game in the 1990s and there was a few claps coming from the back row after the Cards picked up a first down or some shit like that. Mind you, claps, not even cheers.

Tim Tyers, the old warhorse of Phoenix media at the time spins around from the dizzying front row of the Sun Devil Press Box and yells, "Who the FUCK is cheering in the pressbox?"

Bill Bidwill stopped clapping, lowered his head and walked out.

8. 93Devil

I didn't get a harumph from that guy.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Right now, I'm as lost as JVD at a "Brevity and Clarity in Writing" seminar.

10. 93Devil

I'm still working on my number six plan. I already have some whomping and some whoopin. I think I will have a dance at the end as well.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You spare the women-folk??

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Where the white women at?

Draft saved Draft deleted