1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-daily reporters at NFL training camps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does this mean I'm on your Xmas card list, too? Please?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Just thought of something: Sports Illustrated is a weekly. TSN, too. They're there.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't see those outlets running straight gamer, do you?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The big question: Are they wearing shorts?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

More than likely. That's the most important issue. :) I usually break out my biker shorts for practice. Everyone gets a kick out of them.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I was a sports editor for a chain of twice-weeklies affiliated with the Wisconsin State Journal from 2003-07. From 2003-05, I covered Packer training camp for our annual football tab.

It was a great experience and gave me some great clips.

The first thing I learned in 2003: You don't just go up and grab Brett Favre after practice ... :D

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Since when was NFL coverage restricted to dailies only, and since when were all the best reporters working at dailies???

There are plenty of opportunities for a smaller paper to be working on a feature or perhaps they are close enough to an NFL city to make it a regular beat. If it's not interfering with your work (which I'm sure it isn't) why make an issue of it?

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Are you saying that weekly reporters work just as hard as beat writers?

:D

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If they ask, why not? In my current position I have been interviewed by a few magazines and a few newspapers. I ask them to send me a copy after it runs. Some do. Some don't. I figure if I spend 10, 15, 20 minutes of my day talking with someone, the least they can do is have someone send me a copy.

Just have the person at the front desk send them that day's edition.

10. JackReacher

"Hey, man. It was nice talking to you today. You think I can get a copy of that story? Here's my address....."

Yeah. Happens all the time. ::)

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you know what I did my senior year of college?

It does happen. Not everyday, but it does happen. Rookies like to give something to their mothers to hang up in the house.

The papers are sent to the team headquarters in most cases.

What also geeks them up are their action pictures. Shit, even the top guys on the team want good 8x10 glossies, or I guess now good jpegs. Imagine what a special teamer would think of a good action shot.

I would not expect a paper to send a picture, but trust me, these guys like reading about themselves and they like seeing pictures of themselves.

12. JackReacher

I've got a few ideas...

Draft saved Draft deleted