1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-daily reporters at NFL training camps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 5, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Catching a player after a practice is much better than trying to catch him after a game, especially for a conversation and not 1-2 questions. If all you attend are games, you might have a different veiw of them.

There were players who were jerks back then as well, you just had to learn how to weed them out. I'm sure some people on this board about Johnny Johnson or Thrill Hill.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Levels of jerkiness for NFL players :

After game-- Extreme (most of the time especially after a loss)
    Eating dinner with family/concubine/boyfriend -- don't go there.
    Coming out of jail/courthouse -- High, but they act smooth.
    At da club at 2 a.m. -- Friendly, provided they are wasted and you look good.
    Selling a product/meet and greet/signing autographs -- Congenial, but tense
    Five weeks after they've retired for good -- Unbelievaly open, will call you to tell their old stories, invite you over to the house for photos.
    Summer first practice -- Mediumly good provided they have showered and eaten, even better when there is no second practice that day, but are stuck on campus
    Summer second practice --Good if they have time to kill. Extremely jerky if it is the weekend or there is no morning practice the next day.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

As a weekly guy, even one who stresses hyper-local, there are angles I can see that would make it worthwhile to be in a pro camp — players with ties to your area, training camp nearby, team nearby, whatever. I trust there are a lot of guys there with a genuine story idea that would serve their readership.

When you're there in this role, obviously you should show some respect. Try not to monopolize sources or press conferences before guys who are working on a deadline, definitely don't cheer, don't butt in on someone's one-on-one — that's a pet peeve of mine at any level — and, in general, act like you belong there to do a job like any other reporter. Quietly take cues from those who have been there.

4. that's a little TOO much respect. Other than not cheering and butting in on one-on-ones, you have as much of a right to be there as the daily guys, even the ones on deadline.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I don't see what difference it makes. A story is a story no matter how many times a weeks you publish. It has been my experience that some people at dailies tend to look down their noses at those who work for nondailies. I felt it when I worked for a nondaily and it came from people within my own chain.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The beat writers for the dailies should be looking at the guy from the weekly and say, "Wow, that lucky bastard doesn't have to write about which linebacker has moved from the third string to the second and which guy will become the No. 5 receiver."

If guys from a weekly bother you, seek therapy...

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

For God's sake don't send your clips to professional athletes. Just don't.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Except that's the type of stuff one guy wrote.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I will admit, that was a selling point 25 years ago when I went to Mankato for the Vikings a few times.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

apparently, you don't want to make friends for life.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

again, why are you so concerned?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wrote a story about you. What's your address?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted