1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-daily reporters at NFL training camps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone have an idea of how many reporters working for weeklies and twice-weeklies cover NFL training camps? I know a few, but I have to bite my tongue to ask what they are thinking. Some work on their own time to go to a day of camp, and maybe a game or two.

How does that serve readers or is it just used to stroke one's ego by rubbing shoulders with the beat reporters?

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Whole lotta blogging going on, remember.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

unless they're interfering with your job, why do people care whether a reporter at camp is from a non-daily?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can't you say that about most threads on this board? It's not interfering with my job, but it's a discussion topic.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe they're working on features?

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

People who read weeklies don't like the NFL?

I'd bet that rubbing shoulders with a beat writer at the mighty local daily is the last thing on anybody's mind. They could be there for any number of reasons, providing their readers with content from a voice they know and trust. Nothing wrong with that.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My motto: as long as you don't keep me from doing my job and writing my story (and you don't openly cheer), I don't really care who else has a press pass. Do your job and write your stories.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Anyone who asks this question has some serious personal issues.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, it's not really much different than a non-beat writer (whether it be from small daily, weekly or whatever) being at college football media day or game once in a while. My last shop was a small daily in Iowa, we usually went to college FB media days for stories on local kids at the next level. Same if a local kid made it to the NFL, good feature material.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agreed. Still don't understand why this is an issue, especially if those non-daily reporters aren't interfering with OP's work.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is an issue to Stich because he is at a twice-weekly and trying to get us to validate that going to NFL camp makes him important.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An argument could be made about the value of a daily sending a reporter to training camp.

Draft saved Draft deleted